No announcement yet.

Spring 2021 - are you here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice spring outing, Toque. No recovery of fluorescent skis and gear this go around?

Meanwhile, 45 and rain has been the flavor of May in SE Alaska. We've had success with crabbing and grouse hunting, but the skis are idle. Sigh.

Comment

Two recent trips to Cameron Pass where the snow was seasoned with a Sierra-style dump in early March. Made for much more reliable/safe conditions in Coldoweedo.

Typical post refresh pow...

Click image for larger version  Name:	2-runs-cam-pass_1137.jpg Views:	2 Size:	411.8 KB ID:	110230

And then one more time in perfect corn conditions (rare in CO) including a patch of Lilly's Lace. Whoohoooo!

Click image for larger version  Name:	1-run_corn-pass_1192.jpg Views:	2 Size:	290.1 KB ID:	110231
      Last edited by Dostie; 30 May 2021, 03:17 PM.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

Sweet. The contrast of the fresh turns on the dirty snow is very cool.

Originally posted by Dostie View Post
        And then one more time in perfect corn conditions (rare in CO) including a patch of Lilly's Lace. Whoohoooo!
        Is that because sun bakes it so quickly, you typically have a 10-minute window each day before heavy slush forms?

Comment

Look how far the pinwheels, have rolled down the snowpack in the first picture. Isn't that a sign of instability (?) or just warmer surface snow rolling over a firm base ?
          That was always a warning sign for me to avoid steeper terrain.

Comment

Originally posted by Dostie View Post

Click image for larger version Name:	2-runs-cam-pass_1137.jpg Views:	2 Size:	411.8 KB ID:	110230
            Nice shot Ansel!

Comment

Originally posted by chamonix View Post
              (I tried to Photoshop in snowy back ground, but it won't work?)
              OK, here ya go...

Click image for larger version

Name:	nancy greene toque.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	687.8 KB
ID:	110237

You owe be 5 bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by chamonix View Post
                Look how far the pinwheels, have rolled down the snowpack in the first picture. Isn't that a sign of instability (?) or just warmer surface snow rolling over a firm base ?
                That was always a warning sign for me to avoid steeper terrain.
                The pinwheels are proof it could slide, but sublime if it don't. It is Coloweedo, known for avy's, but I also know'd it was safe so I run'd it twice.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

Originally posted by dschane View Post
                  Sweet. The contrast of the fresh turns on the dirty snow is very cool. Is that because sun bakes it so quickly, you typically have a 10-minute window each day before heavy slush forms?
                  The main reason corn is so rare in Coloweedo is 1) High intensity sun bakes the snow into slush quickly because 2) the base is soft, unconsolidated snow that hasn't done a proper melt freeze cycle. Once it gets warm it stays warm, so the freeze is missing. It helps immensely when the snow comes in heavy and wet because then it can freeze into a solid mass that only the upper layer melts under the sun. I knew the base was solid 'cuz we received a wet dump in early March that transformed Coloweedo's notoriously fickle, spooky snowpack into Sierra style styro-snow. The day I did the corn tracks there was a light breeze that kept the snow from over cooking and I lucked out by hitting the magic hour at 11am.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

Originally posted by aqua toque View Post

OK, here ya go...

Click image for larger version  Name:	nancy greene toque.jpg Views:	13 Size:	687.8 KB ID:	110237

You owe be 5 bucks.
                    Beautiful aqua toque. I owe you a beer next time I get out West.. I haven't made it to Japan yet. Maybe next year?
                    Last edited by chamonix; 30 May 2021, 07:39 PM.

Comment

OK, the board is kinda slow these days.

So here's a stray cat with a sock on its back.

Name:	stray cat sock.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	590.9 KB
ID:	110246

Comment

A more skiing related topic? I think someone needs to feed that cat.

I wanted to fix my Pieps Beacon Checker,
                        http://backcountrysafety.com/avalanc...hecker-beacon/

Name:	Pieps beacon checker.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	110255

which died a year after I bought it. Never got to use it in the field, as I only use a beacon back East, on Mt Washington, or The Presidentials. That year I hadn't done any trips to Europe where I regularly wear a beacon.

So on a rainy day, decided to try and rebuild it. "I had to destroy it to save it" Maybe...
                        Last edited by chamonix; 6 June 2021, 09:10 AM.

Comment

First, was to break the case open. I was hoping it was held together with some kind of tabs, but finally I had to "whale on it" (Canadian colloquialism, to destroy something) with a screw driver and hammer. Got the Pieps Checker to break open, fortunately on the glued joint around the perimeter. Without damaging the Circuit Board (CB).

Once open, I realized that it was powered by a CR 2032 coin type battery, and I had a spare on hand. The original battery was soldered onto the circuit board, but I was able to carefully pry it off, without damaging the CB. Original tab, below the battery broke off at CB. Tested this battery, and it was very dead. Time to try and attach a new battery.
                          I soldered a new tab from the CB to sit below my replacement CR2032. Red arrow indicates new tab . Not my best solder job. Click image for larger version  Name:	Soldered connector.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.25 MB ID:	110250
                          Last edited by chamonix; 6 June 2021, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Now I had to figure how to provide pressure on the bottom of CR2032, to push it "up" against the other ,square tab, still soldered to the CB . A simple solution, some velcro material below the battery, and on top. As the pressure is applied to top of battery, in enclosure, the upper velcro pushes the rectangular tab down onto the top of the CR2032 and completes the circuit. Maybe. See red arrow.
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	flat connector.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.21 MB ID:	110256

Note square silver tab at top of battery, which is soldered directly to Circuit Board.
                            Last edited by chamonix; 6 June 2021, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Finally , after some testing I permanently reattached the two halves together. Testing with my Ortovox beacon , Pieps Checker works fine now.

So another one of my geeky and probably unnecessary purchases is functioning again. The beacon checker "chirps" as I hold down the round button, within a foot of a transmitting Avy beacon.

Now, I can pull it out at the trail head and wow my friends, as I check their beacons. Until the battery dies again.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1090264.JPG Views:	0 Size:	3.57 MB ID:	110254
                              Last edited by chamonix; 6 June 2021, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X