X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oui.

Good eye.

Comment

We are having a nice stretch of sunshine, though the corn season hasn't quite kicked in. Nonetheless, with reasonably safe conditions and a ton of sunshine, 4 adults and 3 tweens set out to climb ~3,000 feet and ski a long, mellow line (a spring classic in Juneau).

At the trailhead:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-7765.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	4.71 MB
ID:	109878

After about 60 minutes, the skins could go on and the route gives you nice views of town:

Name:	IMG-7784.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	109879

At the top, we waited (in vain) for corn and killed time with what 12-year olds do:

Name:	IMG-7795.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	2.37 MB
ID:	109883

Name:	IMG-7796.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	2.35 MB
ID:	109880

We put in, snow was crusty in most places, soft in a few, and previous winds had set up some interested mini-ridges:

Name:	IMG-7809.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	3.75 MB
ID:	109881

Standing beneath the run and fueling up for the 2-mile exit (with the f'ck-off smirk of a soon-to-be teenager):

Name:	IMG-7820.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	109882

Comment

Fine crew in a fine setting!

(Just hoping Grant doesn't get ideas about spring skiing in a mini-skirt).

Comment

A fine late season storm hit Tahoe last weekend with Monday the best ski day. Spent it in the backcountry near mt reba. Funny thing about spring time in the Sierra is the sun is so strong that conditions change quickly. Great powder was to be found on shaded north facing slopes and variable all elsewhere. Beautiful day with great views all the way to Carson pass to the north with lots of solitude. Sorry no pics.....
          the Sierra is pretty special once the resorts close. Too bad the snow pack is so limited this year

Comment

Great pictures Deshane,... Skiing in Tee shirt weather is high on my list of best days to ski...
            the fall line is your friend.... resistance is futile

Comment

Originally posted by aqua toque View Post
              Fine crew in a fine setting!

(Just hoping Grant doesn't get ideas about spring skiing in a mini-skirt).
              Mini skirts of for those new-fangled Alpine Touring sorts. Us tele skiers keep it old school in a maxi.

Name:	women-skiing.gif
Views:	263
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	109931

Comment

Bumping this thread with some pics from a recent night out and corn harvesting . . .

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-7876.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.77 MB ID:	110146

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-7872.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.49 MB ID:	110147

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-7881.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.20 MB ID:	110148

I hope everyone is having a safe and creamy spring.

Comment

Woah, a Camper van Cornoocopia of Corn!

Comment

Well, I'm possibly the worst camera person on the planet. To celebrate spring skiing, here are a few more by someone who knows what he's doing . . . .

Name:	Sheep_lower west bowl.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	5.06 MB
ID:	110155​​

Name:	little skier big slope 2.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	9.22 MB
ID:	110153

Name:	Demian.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	5.41 MB
ID:	110154

Comment

It was hotter in Burlington, VT yesterday than in Orlando. Those pics are helping me think cool thoughts!

Comment

Originally posted by Grant View Post
                        It was hotter in Burlington, VT yesterday than in Orlando.
                        But I also heard, or thought I heard, that it snowed at Bolton Valley in May.

One more pic. because it's now 50 degrees and dumping 1" of rain today and again tomorrow.

Name:	cornice on Roberts.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	110158

Comment

Still skiable snow down to 2000 feet in the coastal regions of Hokkaido but no partners due to State of Emergency. Now we are looking at a week of rain so it might be over. But up higher I'm hoping there will still be something left in June after SOE is lifted.

Name:	4zwEFFKNR%qQMaZH55gYDg.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	110160

Comment

Around here there are a couple of winter highway closures. When they open up it can facilitate easier access to some spring skiing. Results can be hit or miss.

I recently ventured into an area that had yeilded well in the past.

Name:	dash.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	1,014.0 KB
ID:	110214

To my dismay more hiking than expected (2.5 hours) was required to reach snow.

Name:	boots.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	110215

At which point travel was pretty good on firmish old snow in the creekbed.

Name:	look back.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	758.3 KB
ID:	110216

Water running down the high cliffs at an early hour -- a harbinger of disappointment?

Name:	cliffs.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	1,009.5 KB
ID:	110217

Indeed. Upon arrival it was apparent my slope was not particularly skiable.

Name:	not in shape.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	964.7 KB
ID:	110218

I did manage to salvage a selfie sporting the original aqua toque which I bring along for just such occasions. As you can see, the years have not been kind.

Name:	toque.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	594.7 KB
ID:	110219
                            I mean to the toque! Not me!

Comment

I'd hit it. I mean the slope, not your toque!

In other news, the State of Emergency is extended to June 20... for now. Sapporo hospitals are overrun and people are dying at home because there are not enough beds or caregivers. Currently 1.9% of the Japanese population has been vaccinated. Government FAIL.

I just want to go skiing.
                              Last edited by cesare; 29 May 2021, 12:36 AM.

Comment

Rare Nancy Greene era toque on unidentified skier Click image for larger version  Name:	Nancy Greene toque cropped.jpg Views:	2 Size:	848.1 KB ID:	110225 ​Toque is in better shape than the skier !

(I tried to Photoshop in snowy back ground, but it won't work?)
                                Last edited by chamonix; 29 May 2021, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X