Spring 2021 - are you here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring 2021 - are you here?

Our winter is gleefully running long. Taken today after work. Spring is supposed to appear at the end of this week.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-7726.jpg Views:	1 Size:	352.6 KB ID:	109661

Cabin camping a couple of weeks ago.

Springtime here in Hokkaido... yay for active volcanoes!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210410_102749.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.92 MB ID:	109663
    Approaching Antarumadake on Saturday before the weather closed in and we summited inside the ping pong ball.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210411_130337.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.30 MB ID:	109664
    Sunday on Maetokachidake, skinning right up under the crater that erupted in 1988 destroying a local ski area and leaving behind scorched tree trunks still standing at tree line far below. The pyroclastic flow from the 1926 eruption reached all the way to Kamifurano 16 km down the hill and killing two women, whose nephew I met in the hot spring at the trailhead a few years ago. He told me not to tell anyone we are going this close to the crater but we figure as gaijin we can probably be forgiven.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210411_133815.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.39 MB ID:	109665
    The Chihiro Gully is a nice, long line that skis more like a bowl this year with 4.5 meters of snow still on the ground.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210411_133819.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.57 MB ID:	109666
    Asahidake (highest peak in Hokkaido) in the background with scorched tree trunks providing gates on the lower mountain.

Click image for larger version  Name:	fullsizeoutput_10c4.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	552.2 KB ID:	109667
    The Tokachi Mountains with smoke billowing from the crater between Tokachidake and Maetokachidake in the middle part of the view. From Kamifurano where the 1926 pyroclastic flow reached the town.
    Last edited by cesare; 13 April 2021, 06:14 AM.

Comment

Keep 'em coming for those of us facing a historically low snow pack for this time of year.

https://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/...ts/7186120002/

Comment

Originally posted by Grant View Post
        Keep 'em coming for those of us facing a historically low snow pack for this time of year.
        Definitely pretty wild in the northeast this year. Here's a cool graph Matt Parrilla put together with the NWS data (updated daily) showing the year-by-year... not good!

https://matthewparrilla.com/mansfield-stake/

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0619.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	310.9 KB
ID:	109673 Im hoping I can ski until July this year in the Snowy Range of Wyoming. But I guess we will see. Check out this huge cornice!

Comment

Thanks for the snow pics, cesare and others. Sadly, no trips to Europe this year, to stretch my ski season. All lifts in France are still closed..
            Jay Peak closing April 25th, and frankly I'm not a fan of slush skiing. I like to carve on dry snow..

Comment

Planning on heading from VT to Summit County the end of the month for some spring turns but seems Winter is hanging on there......Bring on 60 and sunshine please.....

Comment

Yes, Spring is here in the PNW, at least for this week. We have had a good winter in Washington, actually much better than our ~125% current snowpack suggests. On Sunday, it was 19F with a foot of new. By Monday, high pressure arrived and it will be sunshine and 60F plus in the lowlands this week - very Spring. We still have 125" base at the lowest pass (3,200') and Mt Baker has its usual anemic 200" base at 4,200'

Pic from last night's sunset corn harvest, taken at ~3,500, Seattle is lurking under the haze in the valley in the top center:

Name:	DSCF9546_resize.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	2.56 MB
ID:	109702

Attached Files

Comment

djhutch Whoa whoa whoa, let's see another shot of those plum-smuggler spandex tights

Comment

Ha bobbytooslow u r too funny and too observent. The ONLY reason I will oblige, is to show off my new Frankenboots (TXstrale Comps) to the tribe. I am vain enough to admit that I quite like how the orange on one of the Chevrons is almost identical to the cuff color.

Name:	PXL_20210415_030436826.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	788.9 KB
ID:	109706 When I find a few hours to kill, I plan to write my personal experience with boot modding, but the Cliff Notes version is this was a surprisingly easy mod, but I would not recommend it because the pros are so little and the cons are relatively high.

Comment

I like those boots. Not sure about the tights.

Comment

They really show off your sexy knee pads.

Comment

So the Maestrale cuff lock mechanism, works perfectly with the transverse "pin" on the Comp lower? Cool, much better locking cuff system on the new Maestrale and my Scarpa F-1s.
                          A closeup of that would be useful.

I'm not ready yet for the Lycra though.

Comment

Wandered outofbounds from a ski resort in Alberta recently for a springtime big pack baggy pants tour.

It was bright.

Click image for larger version  Name:	green tour.jpg Views:	1 Size:	545.2 KB ID:	109744

Click image for larger version  Name:	invisible.jpg Views:	1 Size:	414.0 KB ID:	109745

Click image for larger version  Name:	vast.jpg Views:	1 Size:	411.3 KB ID:	109746

Click image for larger version  Name:	we're the hawkahweh.jpg Views:	1 Size:	440.2 KB ID:	109747

Click image for larger version  Name:	vastly.jpg Views:	1 Size:	517.2 KB ID:	109748

Click image for larger version  Name:	campers van beethoven.jpg Views:	1 Size:	597.1 KB ID:	109749

Click image for larger version  Name:	at the pass.jpg Views:	1 Size:	358.8 KB ID:	109750
                            Last edited by aqua toque; 17 April 2021, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Ski resort, Sunshine ?

Comment

Working...
                              X