Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chamonix
    replied
    I think the 178 carbon Megawatt would be fun for VT sidecountry, or short tours when the snow is deep. But do I really need another pair of skis?
    Last edited by chamonix; 18 May 2014, 01:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Quadzilla
    replied
    That's what I am thinking but never had a Mega Watt in my hands and word is that they have a lot of tip rocker and rise. My Justice has modest tip rise so the 185 is pretty legitimate. My Spring ski is a 184 Volkyl Nanuq, not much rise either and skis legitimate. So, that 180-185 size is pretty doable for me. I guess I am looking to replace my BD Justice and hopefully get more compact at the same time. Or, just get by another season on what I have. OTOH, it would be great to have a big ski with vertical sidewalls for climbing, a little shorter and ski deep unconsolidated snow at the same time.

Leave a comment:

• thornton
    replied
    The difference between 178 & 180 ain't much. ...

Leave a comment:

• Quadzilla
    replied
    Yeah, that price is pretty tempting. But me at 6'2" and 190 the 178 with the rocker might be too short and really don't want a 188 for the up. Sure, I could climb with a 188 OK, but kinda looking for a daily BC driver and just don't feel the love for a ski that long switchbacking and hacking around obstacles. My BD Justices are 185 and climb decent but there are many times that I wish they were shorter. So, a light fat ski that is around 180 would be nice. Light meaning under 8# and fat meaning 120 girth.......

Leave a comment:

• chamonix
    replied
    carbon megawatt in a 188
    On sale here, $449 in a 178 or a 188 length

http://www.backcountry.com/black-diamond-carbon-megawatt-ski

7 lbs (claimed weight) for the pair of 178s !!

I'd like to find a Carbon Convert for that price..
    Last edited by chamonix; 18 May 2014, 10:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• thornton
    replied
    back on subject, i think quad should get the carbon megawatt in a 188. i've never skied the ski, but they are cheap for a "new" ski.

sometimes with this niche of ski, you just gotta go for it and buy when you find them cheap. and cut your losses as best as possible if you don't like them. it's also the only way to really know if the issue of hauling the girth uphill with potentially a lot of snow on the topsheet (and possibly glopping to the skins) is worthwhile for the downhill performance/versatility in the backcountry. as i described in an earlier post, i find my big funny shaped skis are very versatile in BC 3d snow, versatile beyond my expectations.

Leave a comment:

• riser3
    replied
    Originally posted by cesare View Post
    It's not as exhausting as nihilism.
    You're out of your element, Donny.

Leave a comment:

• DDDallas
    replied
    yeah, ok, so you read my location info..

Leave a comment:

• SkaredShtles
    replied
    Originally posted by DDDallas View Post
    You're right, of course ~ when you're awesome, powder's a cinch.. I think what Da Wheel was getting at is that Farmer Dave (awesome), makes 40 to 60 laps a day (earned) to put his ****e down.. At the end of the day, though, I sympathize with VT ~ while there are places and times when conserving the field is 'de rigueur', fact is that the line is the line, and it feels mo betta to cruise the groove than line up and paint by the numbers.. You gotta admit, though, Van Dame is bloody awesome ..

Leave a comment:

• airinwrite
    replied
    I would be most of the skiers posting here lack the skill to lay down tracks with that amount of precision. I have tried and can get close but not like that.

Leave a comment:

• cesare
    replied
    It's not as exhausting as nihilism.

Leave a comment:

• DDDallas
    replied
    Originally posted by Tele 'til You're Smelly View Post
    really? I find skiing in perfect powder pretty effortless ;-)
    You're right, of course ~ when you're awesome, powder's a cinch.. I think what Da Wheel was getting at is that Farmer Dave (awesome), makes 40 to 60 laps a day (earned) to put his ****e down.. At the end of the day, though, I sympathize with VT ~ while there are places and times when conserving the field is 'de rigueur', fact is that the line is the line, and it feels mo betta to cruise the groove than line up and paint by the numbers.. You gotta admit, though, Van Dame is bloody awesome ..

Leave a comment:

• Tele 'til You're Smelly
    replied
    Originally posted by TheWheel View Post
    That looks exhausting.
    really? I find skiing in perfect powder pretty effortless ;-)

Leave a comment:

• TheWheel
    replied
    That looks exhausting.
    Originally posted by DDDallas View Post

Leave a comment:

• WoW
    replied

^^^Free heel Miller Short Cuts with a home made waxless base. Farmer Dave Van Dame
    Haven't seen him for a few years.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X