TR: Tokachi Mountains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TR: Tokachi Mountains

Yesterday started with a sublime, foggy drive on the Do Oh Expressway and a spiritual moment viewing the statue of Avalokiteśvara (Guanyin/Kannon) in Ashibetsu. At 88 meters (289 feet) tall it was the tallest statue in the world at the time of its construction in 1989. Avalokiteśvara is a kind of multiple gender bodhisattva symbolizing compassion. The beauty of it from the roadside rest area reduced me to tears as I remembered my brother. This picture can’t possibly do it justice.

Yusuke (pronounced use' kay) and I made a rendezvous at the Lawson in Kamifurano for a breakfast of rice cakes and steamed bao. We discussed a palate of options and then drove up to Ryounkaku Onsen to ski around Sanponzan and Furanodake. There was bad snow and good snow. We found the good snow for four runs. Yusuke was on his Garmont Excursions with 3pin bindings on Karhu 10th Mountains. He is a freaking amazing telemark skier, making everything look ridiculously easy, even when it’s not easy. A great day in the Tokachi Mountains.

I'm still avoiding onsens out of extreme COVID caution so I waited until I got home to get bathed, fed (okonomiyaki), and watered (Suntory Premium Malts that our little friends Ichino and Kono gave me for Valentines Day because in Japan on Valentines Day girls give boys chocolate but since I am a geezer, I got beer). Went to bed tired, and happy. It's a beautiful morning today, warm and sunny. Spring has sprung in Hokkaido.

Click image for larger version  Name:	fullsizeoutput_1089.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.68 MB ID:	109051

Click image for larger version  Name:	HJ6L3FU4QWWf6vx52WdTzA.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.55 MB ID:	109052

Click image for larger version  Name:	fullsizeoutput_108e.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.03 MB ID:	109053

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9588.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.38 MB ID:	109054

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9572.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	3.57 MB
ID:	109055
    Last edited by cesare; 12 March 2021, 03:21 PM.

the awesomeness....
    the fall line is your friend.... resistance is futile

Comment

As always, really enjoyed your TR.

Originally posted by cesare View Post
      I'm still avoiding onsens out of extreme COVID caution so I waited until I got home to get bathed, fed (okonomiyaki), and watered (Suntory Premium Malts that our little friends Ichino and Kono gave me for Valentines Day because in Japan on Valentines Day girls give boys chocolate but since I am a geezer, I got beer).
      Coincidentally I got vaccinated today, had a tuna sandwich, have had a few beer but have yet to bathe.

Comment

Originally posted by aqua toque View Post
        Coincidentally I got vaccinated today,
        I thought Canada wasn't vaccinating the public yet? I have friends who are 70+ in Ontario and they may get vaccinated in July?

Great pics Cesare, and fabulous terrain.....

Comment

Originally posted by aqua toque View Post
          As always, really enjoyed your TR.

Coincidentally I got vaccinated today, had a tuna sandwich, have had a few beer but have yet to bathe.
          I cannot get vaccinated--at least with the mRNA vaccines and they are the only ones approved currently for use in Japan--because of my lifelong history of anaphylaxis. So I am here to thank all of you who are so you can protect me.

I had two tuna/mayo onigiri (rice cakes) yesterday. Umai! (delicious!)

Comment

Originally posted by chamonix View Post
            I thought Canada wasn't vaccinating the public yet?
            Today in Alberta anyone born in 1957 could get their first dose of AstraZeneca Covishield if they wanted it.

Comment

Originally posted by cesare View Post
              Umai! (delicious!)
              Born 1957. A distinction I do believe I share with you oh esteemed internet friend.

Comment

Yeah... waiting for something to happen with Astra Zeneca here. Or Johnson & Johnson. Japan moves slowly on public health issues. It has been scandalous at times in their history. So my lifestyle doesn't change much while everybody else's does. No carpooling for skiing. No dinners out. Kazumi and I are totally on the same page as she has a history of reactions to vaccines and doctors are telling her to wait and see as well. I wanted to be first in line to get it, so it is disappointing. But I've been patient so far. I can continue. Having great partners like Yusuke and Jun means I still get to go backcountry skiing.

I was born in 1956 but late.

Comment

I had tuna fish today too,... made on whole wheat bread with chopped lettuce and sriracha mayo on one slice of bread and sriracha hot sauce on the other slice.

I've spent more days battling health issues this season than in the mountains so far and yet I am no where near eligible to get the vaccine yet. I'm right there with you guys in my senior citizenship too. It's all good though, I don't crave the company of people in highly populated venues of any kind so covid isolation isn't a punishment for me. I'd rather cook my own delicious food than have it cooked for me anyway. Doing all my personal projects, reading, and practicing fingerpicking techniques are all high on the social distancing list and I do them by choice.

It will be nice to get into the BC out here this spring. Hopefully, I'll have my $hit together by then because I need to spread a friend's ashes with his son on a certain mountain top before the snow is gone.
                  Last edited by tele.skier; 12 March 2021, 09:40 PM.
                  the fall line is your friend.... resistance is futile

Comment

Working...
                  X