2014 Mount Washington Memorial Day BBQ and Slackfest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Mount Washington Memorial Day BBQ and Slackfest

The Annual Mount Washington Memorial Day BBQ and Slackfest is on as long as I breathe and can get on the mountain. Chilling and grilling are the main thing, Families usually show up, lawn furniture gets deployed and sunscreen gets shared.

Skiing and Riding on the NE Snowfield a little above (and across the road from) the Air Force parking lot. The area we head for is almost always sheltered from The Breezes...although the Essence de Cog does filter in.

The 10th Mountain Memorial Day Slalom is always on Memorial Day Monday and has been held once in Tuckerman Ravine because The Road, which had been open, was closed due to icing and high winds.

If the Road is not open yet (almost unheard of) I shall be staying in one of the Hermit Lake shelters and skiing in the Ravine. Usually the road is open and sometimes the snow patch in the NE Snowfield is just 100' of vert. This year tantalizes....maybe we get closer to 300'. One year we had about 700' in the Slackers' Bowl of the NE Snowfield.

A Ranger told me that over 75 participants means I need a permit..so if you show up, deny everythying about Slackfest...
    Last edited by RobRoyMeans; 22 April 2014, 08:26 AM.
    Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!

Corn harvest has been brilliant here in the East.

As of 05/19 @ 08:30, the Mount Washington summit forecast for Memorial Day Weekend:

Saturday: Gonna be a bit chilly. Be first in line and get to the parking ASAP. Yoyo till about 11:30 hours and load the grill and cooler into the vehicle, if you ever unloaded it. Take another run or two and get the heck off the mountain before it starts sleeting.

Sunday:
    Coolish, likely to be misty and on-and-off drizzmal, but brightening mid-to late afternoon

Monday:
    Looking pretty darn nice!
    Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!

Comment

Working...
    X