Telemarkdown/Summit Cone Sports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Telemarkdown/Summit Cone Sports

Does anyone have any experience with these guys? Seems to be the same guys.

I'm on a mission to find a pair of leather boots. I once tried on a pair of Crispi Mountains and I know a 44 fits me well. They were too low though - no ankle support.

I'd be willing to risk trying an Antartic.

Strangely enough Summit Cone shows Crispi leathers and Telemarkdown does not. I'm attempting to get more info.

http://www.telemarkdown.com/

http://summitconesports.com/home-1.html

This silly video shows my issue. Alaska is high but soft. Snowpine is lower but stiff. I need more support there.

PS I'm definitely going to get some plastic, but I doubt I'll be able to tolerate for high mileage tours.

Comment

Good guys. Been around a long time.

Comment

telemarkdown served me well when I purchased new set up last year . . . would recommend them and buy from them again.

Comment

Excellent.

I'm hoping they can get me a pair of those boots!

Comment

Telemarkdown guys are great and very helpful. Bought a lot of stuff from them.

I have the Antarctic. I like it so far. The "toe box" was a bit large and had to cut some extra insole to take up the volume. I have driven 190cm Tua Excaliburs with them.
            Also consider the Fischer BCX 875.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnF View Post
              Telemarkdown guys are great and very helpful. Bought a lot of stuff from them.

I have the Antarctic. I like it so far. The "toe box" was a bit large and had to cut some extra insole to take up the volume. I have driven 190cm Tua Excaliburs with them.
              Also consider the Fischer BCX 875.
              Thanks John.

I hope they fit like the ones I tried. Was good for my wide, high volume foot.

I've yet to try on the Fischer but I've read the toe box is tightish and that there are some quality issues.

I'm pretty sure Mountain Man in Old Forge has the 675 (don't know about the 875). I've been meaning to try a pair on the next time I roll through.

PS Did you buy your Antarctic from Telemarkdown?

Comment

I did not buy from them. Ended up getting them in Conway, NH. Can't remember the name of the store.

Comment

One more question John. How is the ankle support?

Comment

Seems decent enough. I drove a 70mm waist ski with them. The binding was a superloop. The boot was sturdy enough not to be crunched by the cable. I skied this on the packed Alexandria trail on Mt Cardigan. This was mostly survival turning.

I liked the boot better on a pair of Karhu Pinnacles/Voile Mountaineer pins. Plenty of control to rip down narrow trails. I did the Wildcat valley tail on that setup.

The only other boot of this type that I have used was a Rossi BCX11. Those were too floppy.

I guess I just don't have enough experience to compare them to other leather 75mm boots.
                    My other gear is either plastic or NNNBC.
                    So I apologize that I cannot speak to how supportive the boots are, I can only provide examples of the terrain I have skied with them and how I thought they performed, which seemed quite fine to me.

What ski(s) do you want to use them with? What kind of terrain?

Comment

What ski(s) do you want to use them with? What kind of terrain?
                      Madshus Epoch and Glittertind with 3 pin Voile Mountaineers - the ski depending on the terrain and snow condition.

Intermediate tours - same as I'd been using my Alaskas for so far - I'd retire the Alaskas to flatter or tracked outings if these work out.

I'm mainly wondering if they are more like the Alaska or the Snowpine in my cheesy video i.e. is there stiff plastic under the leather in the heel/ankle?

Comment

The boot is leather in the heel/ankle area. No plastic. The sole and lower part of the boot are incredibly stiff. I cannot twist the boot.

I am thinking of pairing Glittertinds with these. Seems like a perfect pairing. For the kind of skiing you would use the Epoch's for, I would look at T4 or Excursions.

Comment

The boot is leather in the heel/ankle area. No plastic. The sole and lower part of the boot are incredibly stiff. I cannot twist the boot.

I am thinking of pairing Glittertinds with these. Seems like a perfect pairing. For the kind of skiing you would use the Epoch's for, I would look at T4 or Excursions.
                          Thanks for all your help John.

Let me clarify a bit. Most boots, even leather, have some plastic reinforcement sandwiched between the liner (and in this case insulation) and the outer leather. That is the case with my Snowpines and why they are relatively stiff. So I'm wondering how stiff the flex of the ankle/heel portion is. There is relatively no support with the Alaska, it is mostly warmth. Having relatively weak ankle I need that stiffness there to really power the ski.

I know what you mean about the sole stiffness. The Crispi Mountains I tried were incredibly stiff, but I have the feeling they will loosen up with time. It could be a different sole build up but actual Vibram tread is the same as the older models of boots.

As far as the Glittertinds. I can't say enough good things about mine. I tested a lot of skis in the range before I bought these and they were the best of the lot. They weren't the best at any one thing but the best all around IMO. I bought this ski to cover a lot of bases, mainly skiing at tracks at places like BREIA (I'm sure you know this place) to touring in the Adirondacks. Like most BC skis I've tried they suck on skate groomed terrain (well actually going downhill on that they are the most fun, striding not) but I don't go to those places unless I am desperate. One could probably skate them OK with NNN but with 3 pins it isn't fluid.

My wife likes her E99 Crowns better, probably a better built ski with nicer bases to be honest, but in fairness to the Glittertind she never tried them in her length.

Comment

I bought some Crispi Svartisans from Summitcone. They had a Telemarkdown shipping tag on them when they arrived. Pretty sure both entities are owned by the Fey brothers and they were very easy to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by Uphill Plodder View Post
                              I bought some Crispi Svartisans from Summitcone. They had a Telemarkdown shipping tag on them when they arrived. Pretty sure both entities are owned by the Fey brothers and they were very easy to deal with.
                              This is correct. They are the same. I'll also add I didn't get a response from Summitcone and I did from Telemarkdown. I would recommend using that contact info if you want to get hold of those guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X