Meadow skippers, take note

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tele.skier View Post
    How can I guy win a skimo race on nordic gear? Isn't their a significant downhill leg that would cripple a guy's chance of winning on nordic gear?
    IMO, the difference in downhill speed would be in seconds and the difference in flats and climbs would be in minutes.

"Just say no to groomed snow"

Comment

The skimo race that alpental hosts every year has a very steep downhill section. You might be right about the time benefits/losses, but it wouldn't be easy to navigate this pitch on that gear if the race course was icey. It would be fun to watch though!

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010367.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	1,016.0 KB
ID:	106507
      the fall line is your friend.... resistance is futile

Comment

I think the nordy dudes cherry-picked the races that had mellower downhills. And perhaps were very familiar with those particular steep pitches. The race at our resort could absolutely be done on NNN gear as long as it wasn't insanely icy that day. Like Quad said, even if you weren't able to bomb the downhill, you'd more than make up for it on the up.

Comment

The skimo race that alpental hosts every year has a very steep downhill section. You might be right about the time benefits/losses, but it wouldn't be easy to navigate this pitch on that gear if the race course was icey. It would be fun to watch though!

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010367.jpg Views:	13 Size:	1,016.0 KB ID:	106507
          Lovely shot of the Alpental bc there. Alpental is the only resort I know where a run like that plays the same role as blue groomers do at normal resorts, i.e. it's not something you ski to ski it, it's something you ski to get to the stuff you really want to ski (Nash Gate, Elevator Gate, Snakedance, trees between Felsen and Snakedance, Birth Canal, etc...) :-)

But yeah, that rig looks very interesting. If I didn't already have NTN tech tele and TTS and skate skis and classic waxless skis, I'd be interested!

Comment

Originally posted by xmatt View Post
            But yeah, that rig looks very interesting. If I didn't already have NTN tech tele and TTS and skate skis and classic waxless skis, I'd be interested!
            I know how you feel. Gear addiction is a real thing. If the boots were tech-compatible, it would be an interesting starting point for some sort of hybrid, but I'm not about to jump into a 5th or 6th binding standard in my quiver.

Comment

Another video of the NNN BC binding, comparing it to 3 pin rat trap
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQU-...re=emb_rel_end

as far as skiing steep icy sections on light gear, watch this video at 6:48, the "customized ski poles for the "Witches descent" technique. Used in the PDG race from Zermatt to Verbier. Don't try to turn, just drag your poles!
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPi_...ature=emb_logo
              Last edited by chamonix; 10 January 2021, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chamonix View Post
                A
                as far as skiing steep icy sections on light gear, watch this video at 6:48, the "customized ski poles for the "Witches descent" technique. Used in the PDG race from Zermatt to Verbier. Don't try to turn, just drag your poles!
                That reminds me of the traditional skiers of the Atlai

Comment

So,... let me get this straight,... I stick the poles between my legs, up against my nuggets, sit down on the poles and point my skis downhill???

😂

Comment

It's true, I saw this live in Leysin Switzerland years ago. We remarked on these 2 women making their way up to the top on skinny skis and poles with big baskets then later saw them hurtling straight down the steeps straddling the poles.

Comment

So,... let me get this straight,... I stick the poles between my legs, up against my nuggets, sit down on the poles and point my skis downhill???

😂
                      Yes, that is what the padding on the ski poles is for.
                      Great video, IMHO. Drone footage, amazing mountain scenery, and skiing..plus the historical footage of the PDG race Zermatt to Verbier, the same route which the skiers in this video follow..
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPi_...ature=emb_logo
                      Last edited by chamonix; 11 January 2021, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Oh, don't get me wrong. I thought it was awesome video too... I never saw that technique before, so I was wowed by seeing the guy flying along on the fall line. All I could think of was,... Just one bobble and it's going to go really bad...
                        Last edited by tele.skier; 11 January 2021, 04:29 PM.

Comment

We tried to follow the witches but they were supersonic. Snow was fresh and they threw up huge rooster tails. Looked like they were in perfect control. Saw them later at a restaurant and they appeared to be true euro aristos. Switched effortlessly between at least 5 languages. Maybe not witches but goddesses for true.

Comment

Originally posted by zonca View Post
                            We tried to follow the witches but they were supersonic. Snow was fresh and they threw up huge rooster tails. Looked like they were in perfect control. Saw them later at a restaurant and they appeared to be true euro aristos. Switched effortlessly between at least 5 languages. Maybe not witches but goddesses for true.
                            Reminds me of story from a kayaker I know. He was at the largest rapid , Lava Falls on the Grand Canyon. Was watching this woman who kept running the rapid, getting flipped, missing her roll, and taking a scary swim. Then she carried her kayak up to run it again. A few times..
                            He said, "I want to marry that woman !"..
                            Last edited by chamonix; 11 January 2021, 07:15 PM.

Comment

One thing I noticed: The toe pins seem to have a bit of a longer barrel and squarer shoulder than Dynafit pins. My initial take, since the Dynafit patent is out in the open, is that it's to be stronger in the upward direction, to resist pre-release when the heel is raised and the toe of the boot is pushing on the bumper. If so, this would bode well for the ability to use an even stronger bumper.

Name:	Screenshot 2021-01-14 100239.png
Views:	133
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	106716

Comment

Oh yeah, here's that old Rottefella patent drawing for a spring=loaded bumper unit and pins under the ball of the foot:

Name:	rockeredbootsole.png
Views:	131
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	106718

Comment

Working...
                                X