Fast Transitions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got Pomoca Climb 2.0 last year.

The glue is far superior and has shown no deterioration in about 50 days of use so far. It is not as sticky as the BD glue and in dozens of days of multiple lap skiing in cold temperatures there has not been even a hint of imminent glue failure.

The skin backing is waterproof, so the glue does not get wet from the plush side and they dry a lot faster, not to mention being lighter and stronger, especially compared to the BD mix skins, which are very easy to tear.

The plush is treated and I have not yet had to hot wax it, though I'm probably going to do that later this winter.

Grip is better than either the G3 or the BD mix skins but obviously not as strong as the BD nylon skins, which are a lot heavier.

I like the tail connection but I think the G3 claws work better on the tip and are more durable for sure. Someone at a hot spring hostel I stay at stole my tips connectors off my Pomoca skins in the drying room last year so I ended up cutting a pair off of some G3 skins and speedy stitchering them onto the Pomocas.

Overall I say the Pomoca Climb 2.0 skins are far superior to both BD and G3.

Comment

Back to the original topic. I guess I've gotten my answer for why there is so much hate for the idea of being able to make a fast transition: It's human nature to assume fast = rushed = hasty = dangerous = inconsiderate.

I couldn't have been any more clear that I was NOT talking about speed on the skintrack, but somehow comments went there anyway. Separating the concept of cardiovascular fitness (hammering up the skintrack) from well-thought-out, practiced equipment handling (switching your setup between uphill/downhill) isn't as easy as I thought. It's all backcountry skiing, I suppose, and the natural assumption is that people who do some things slow like to do everything slow, and people who like to do some things fast like to do everything fast.

Except there really is a difference. I'd compare it to what you see with professional rock climbing guides. Ever notice the way a real AMGA guide is meticulous about ropework, gear carrying, anchor building, etc? WAY tidier than my 20-something ass used to be, tangled rope snaking thru a pile of beer cans or whatever. Some of the strongest climbers in the world are travelling sh*tshows. Some of the guides I know aren't incredibly strong climbers, but they have their program DIALED.

That's what makes a good ski touring partner to me. Have your transitions dialed. Have your layering dialed. Have your snow safety knowledge dialed. Then, you can choose to be as lax as you want with things like skintrack pace and time spent on top.

Comment

I love my Pomoca skins. They don't clump with snow when others' skins do, have great climbing grip, and have just the right amount of glue tack. I also have Voiles, which are decent, but the glue is a lot thicker/sticker and seems to gum up more. Nice thing about the Pomoca's is that it's easier to get them unstuck when they've blown around and gotten stuck to something they shouldn't.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback on Pomoca skins. Next time I need a new pair, those are on the top of my list.

Sorry for thread hijack . . .

Comment

Originally posted by vt_trees View Post
            I have to say I've never successfully ripped my own skins off while still on my skis. Instead, my ski partner wife and I go the cooperation route. I rip her skins off she rips off mine. May not be "faster", which has never been a concern, but it does allow us to keep our skis on.
            Well, as long as you have your wife to ski with, that sounds like a great system !

Comment

Originally posted by Dostie View Post
              I'm with Cham on his four criteria for a good ski partner. As for transitions, I'm even slower than Cham while skinning so I need to be methodical in my transitions to make up for arriving last. Even so, because I can rip the hide without taking skis off I'm usually ready to make turns with everyone else, sometimes even before. ;-)
              I forgot one more criteria
              5/ A ski partner with a good sense of direction, like
              "Where the f**k are we?"

Comment

Here's my typical transition. I have it pretty dialed in with my TTS setup. It's not rushed, but I think it's pretty efficient. I find the bungee connection at the tip makes for more efficient skin removal (less bending/twisting). I still bend over for the boot/binding transition, though it's possible to do with a ski pole if balance is an issue (uneven terrain).

Edit: transition starts at 5:05
                Last edited by jtb; 17 March 2021, 11:43 AM.

Comment

jtb,

Definitely a smooth rip. What brand skin? Year?

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

They're Dynafit-branded Pomoca skins. They're 6+ years old (made for Grand Tetons), but I got them new-old stock and they have 2 years of touring on them. I like the Pomoca glue -- just strong enough to hold them to the ski, but easy to rip off the ski or each other.

I'm using the Dynafit tail clip system, but I had to machine a little aluminum pocket to keep them on my Voile skis. For the tip, I replaced the Dynafit rubber tab with a small bungee and washer. That makes them easier to install and remove, and doesn't seem to hurt retention.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3P3Dsl737_doxrGR5Deq2hf5GH7jynaFRRwknz16Xxv_DQg3hFgpxZ9YSl0AZK5FkmIJVtIWVpiZOScQ4ZdiC0mNqZye3wDAdt0OWWQabgdESsQeZ2ZmdSYYzCBj1MGg5Enzv2JS0lk=w400.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	109169

Comment

Working...
                    X