No announcement yet.

Wildsnow - Fish Scales & Lynx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tele.skier - I support your attitude and aptitude for innovation - and all people who tinker. It is needed and appreciated. Maybe that didn't come through much in my post. I'm not one to analyze poor gear performance because my brain doesn't go there - I just ski and don't think much about the details of the gear. Luckily not everybody thinks the same way. The different approaches are a good thing. And often warranted in different situations.

bobbytooslow - I haven't been in the AT boots you describe, definitely an ignorance is bliss situation. I am absolutely hoping the new Scarpa boots hit the market at some point not far in the future - though what they end up releasing will be endless fodder for debate! They won't make everyone happy. Hopefully the tech toe problem/liability issue in cage NTN bindings is figured out soon - whatever that ends up meaning. Good point on those who make the comparison between the boots- well illustrated that telemark boots that compare nicely to AT boots are a big step in getting more people in.

It's a balance, right? There are times when the gear holds you back, and it needs a shove in the right direction, often from the grassroots. But if you're too busy longing for gear that is gone or not yet here, you're stuck until it's in your hands. And what we have in our hands let's us do what we want to do in a pretty awesome (maybe not perfect) fashion: telemark.

Comment

Well said Jack. Kim Miller made it clear that Scarpa sees the next step in teleboots, which is a boot that tours much better.. so they did hear the critics. Yes, I do think the boots we have now are excellent for 2016-17 standards, but just like the introduction of tour mode on bindings, the paradigm of what the current qualities of any piece of gear can change when a new feature makes the old standard less adequate by comparison. I think the AT boot tour mode development has spawned the "touring boot envy" in me, and I think quite a few others... I'm certainly hopeful,...
      the fall line is your friend.... resistance is futile

Comment

Originally posted by tele.skier View Post
        I just found it odd that an AT site that reviews cutting edge AT gear, reviews this rarely seen combo of: pattern base ski, lynx, and Txpro... I'll bet money that no one here has that combination in their quiver,... NO ONE... (speak up if you do!)
        I'd have that combo in a second if the binding were reliable. As it is the Lynx sits in a box while I ride the OutlawX. I eye the hypervector BC daily. It's perfect for the conditions we're seeing now in the Bear River Range. Long approaches to low angle goodness.

Comment

yeah, I would love that ski in my quiver too, but I am at the point where the skis have overflowed out of my gear closet and onto the wall next to the closet...

What part of the lynx is unreliable? the spring shrinkage? something else?
          the fall line is your friend.... resistance is futile

Comment

Pherick, I wish I had more days on my Lynx (V2), since I have many days on the Outlaws (original and X). But I did have some unintentional claw grabs while touring in deep pow with the Lynx. I put the anti icing tape in several spots that I thought could cause an issue, and have not had a problem since. My only problem with the Lynx (or most likely any tech toe binding), is stepping into the toe perfectly. I figure most of that is operator error. Having said that, I really like the bindings and I'm a big fan of the Outlaw. So if I wanted to keep it light, I wouldn't hesitate to get the Lynx again. I haven't had any of the other problems people have complained about the Lynx(but maybe not enough days).

Comment

I've had persistent issues with the splintering main plates making ski mode non-functional, from day 1. I've never had the claw grab issues, but I think that's only because I've taken so few turns on the springs. There are some obvious fixes I'd like to try, but since the Outlaws work, I haven't had the motivation.

It's too bad; the flex is right where I like it and the tour mode is amazing.

Comment

[QUOTE=Windjunkie;n106463But I did have some unintentional claw grabs while touring in deep pow with the Lynx. I put the anti icing tape in several spots that I thought could cause an issue, and have not had a problem since.[/QUOTE]
                Do you have some pics. of your tape job?

Comment

As I recall from last spring, here's a picture of a pretty solid tape job from Allan Fici

https://www.backcountrytalk.com/foru...ge2#post100499

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201206_122056.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	106519 Click image for larger version

Name:	20201206_122042.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	106520 Click image for larger version

Name:	20201206_122119.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	2.83 MB
ID:	106521

These aren't the best pics, but you can get the idea.

Comment

Windy can you post link where you purchased tape?

Comment

BTW, what happened to Allan Fici, haven’t seen a post by him in a long time.

Comment

I posted this elsewhere. The key is to search for UHMW tape. It's not usually branded as "anti-ice", but it's the same thing. You can buy various sizes and thicknesses. This is what I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00823JCA6.

Comment

To answer the question, I do not own this configuration. However, I was planning on buying something similar with the new Scarpa touring boots, Meidjo and Voile Vector w/scales. That was going to replace my NNN-BC, Alaska boots and Epochs for the family bush whack ski days. The plan has been to buy those new Scarpa touring boots for about as long as they were leaked. This was not the extent of my plans as I was hoping to add two sets of Meidjo bindings for my rock and preferred skis. All that is dashed however as this is looking like another year of bait and NO switch in the boot market.

I will just keep enjoying a healthy life with my TX Comp and Outlaw set ups, as well as the NNN-BC deal. Definitely life could be worse. However, I do not resort ski and do tour more than many. It is not like I am not keeping up but it would be more fun if I was saving a little more for the descent. Last year on a week long trip with all others being AT, I did have the realization that none of us were ever going to get younger. Scarpa fits my foot perfectly and I had already been so ready to throw money their way. It is becoming very apparent that others are as well. None of my regional suppliers even have any TX Pro boots left even if I wanted them.

This is a very long way of saying that I believe the lack of usable boot development is costing the binding companies sales. Same but to a smaller extent for the ski companies. Obviously we are all working harder to earn our turns as well. It is hard to imagine the retailers would not have been very happy to see new improved product for next year when most will have sold out of old stock with the Covid surge in sales. It is also hard to imagine a whole lot of people buying the current line up of boots next year. Honestly, business 101, do not leak that you have designed an awesome new product as you are sure going to have a difficult time getting rid of the old. It is not like this is a one off happening either. Supply chain problems are hurting many and there could be many reasons it appears the newly designed boots are not coming anytime soon. Just seems Scarpa is compounding any problems with how they are making business decisions. I really want them to continue growing and succeeding.

Sorry for ultimately ranting. Had not bothered to write in a tele forum since the old TT days. Never have been the expert like you all. Please keep up the excellent information sharing. Freeheel Life, Telemark Skier, Absolute Telemark and you all are what is keeping this sport alive and healthy.

Comment

That is Voile anti ice tape, bought directly from Voile.

Comment

Sorry for the drift, but thanks for the info. re tape. When I get the undesired lockdown, it seems to be snow between the ski and binding, so taping the ski may be the way to go. Besides that one day, it is still a very rare event. But perfection is always the goal, albeit an elusive one. I mean, I face planted today. . . .

Comment

Working...
                                X