Clear All

• CMbristlecone
    replied
    The In-law theory makes sense. Take a look at the Vice mounting plate:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	C3BCEF15-627E-44A6-9848-9B3D442A5A54.jpeg
Views:	79
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	106224Looks pretty similar to the new orange part.

Leave a comment:

• chamonix
    replied
    I'd like to ski the Lynx, but I NEED the edge control and power of my TX Comps..Comps have no inserts, so I keep skiing on my Outlaws.
    Ps. My two sets of Outlaws don't have the brakes, just leashes..
    Last edited by chamonix; 3 January 2021, 09:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dschane
    replied
    Originally posted by bobbytooslow View Post
    "Free pivot" tele bindings have never sat right with me. It's like "I need a free heel binding on my free heel binding." I think we're now at a point where they don't really need to exist. Tech pin bindings are far superior for touring (and do fine at the resort too), but if a user only plans to ski a particular setup for lift serve, they'd be better off with something simple and burly, perhaps with reliable brakes in place of the touring mechanism.
    I don't disagree (though if your heel is free, your toe should be allowed to join the fiesta). And, Axl and Vice have peacefully coexisted for 10+ years, so I have no problem with an Outlaw X and and Inlaw X even though, barring some brutish fallout with Lynx, I don't see myself skiing any other binding for time to come.

Leave a comment:

• jtb
    replied
    "Free pivot" tele bindings have never sat right with me. It's like "I need a free heel binding on my free heel binding." I think we're now at a point where they don't really need to exist. Tech pin bindings are far superior for touring (and do fine at the resort too), but if a user only plans to ski a particular setup for lift serve, they'd be better off with something simple and burly, perhaps with reliable brakes in place of the touring mechanism.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	4sa0m0.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	106114

Leave a comment:

• TeleSteve
    replied

Yup, this makes the most sense. It doesn't need to be made any lighter, but simpler and more durable, with fewer moving parts and fewer places to collect ice.

In theory, this resort-only binding could also be less expensive, but I wouldn't count on it.
    The free pivot function is what keeps a retractable brake from being feasible. The retractable brake adds some complexity and likely close to the cost of the free pivot, but worth it in my opinion.
    I am all for light touring bindings with free pivot, but a burlier resort oriented binding is still a good thing.

Leave a comment:

• bobbytooslow
    replied
    Originally posted by TeleSteve View Post
    My guess is an outlaw without tour mode and retractable brakes. Lets face it, for resort laps the leash is a pain and tour mode isn't needed. I think the Vice outsells the AXL in 75mm platform. In my quiver there are several skis that I have no desire to skin on.
    Yup, this makes the most sense. It doesn't need to be made any lighter, but simpler and more durable, with fewer moving parts and fewer places to collect ice.

In theory, this resort-only binding could also be less expensive, but I wouldn't count on it.

Leave a comment:

• stec06
    replied
    Originally posted by telenerd View Post
    Maybe it’s for the outlaw without free pivot. So downhillers ntn crowd can get a lighter binding. Kinda like the Vice.
    Yes please.

Leave a comment:

• telenerd
    replied
    Originally posted by TeleSteve View Post
    My guess is an outlaw without tour mode and retractable brakes. Lets face it, for resort laps the leash is a pain and tour mode isn't needed. I think the Vice outsells the AXL in 75mm platform. In my quiver there are several skis that I have no desire to skin on.
    Maybe they will call the binding the Outcast or Rebel.

Leave a comment:

• TeleSteve
    replied

Leave a comment:

• -E-
    replied
    Retractable brakes would bring the binding to 1979 in alpine years. Sign me up.

Leave a comment:

• Dostie
    replied
    Originally posted by jtb View Post
    I was going to go with a design for either brakes or a flex plate. The piece on the left looks like it slots under the piece on the right. The piece on the right looks like a toe plate with width and lengthwise slots underneath -- widthwise to let the brakes poke through, lengthwise for the lever that your toe holds down. So, I think the piece on the left is a filler for the toe plate when the brakes are not in place.
    I think you're on to something here, especially with regard to brakes. The problem with the Outlaw is the brakes. They don't retract enough and make stepping in more of a fiddle fest. But if the brakes were recessed under the toe cage, as the above image and jtb's insight suggest, then it would be easy to step in to and the brakes might be configured to lift and retract like alpine bindings. And the space that requires may be available if the free-pivot switch weren't needed. Pure speculation standing on the shoulders of everyone else's ideas.

Leave a comment:

• telenerd
    replied
    Maybe it’s for the outlaw without free pivot. So downhillers ntn crowd can get a lighter binding. Kinda like the Vice.

Leave a comment:

• jtb
    replied
    I was going to go with a design for either brakes or a flex plate. The piece on the left looks like it slots under the piece on the right. The piece on the right looks like a toe plate with width and lengthwise slots underneath -- widthwise to let the brakes poke through, lengthwise for the lever that your toe holds down. So, I think the piece on the left is a filler for the toe plate when the brakes are not in place.

If it is a toe plate, it doesn't look like it's for the Lynx. But, like ts01 said, I don't think 22 would fragment their market further with another tech toe. Would they make such a major redesign to to the Lynx now? That's a head scratcher.

Also, the 3D printing issues look like an unsupported bridge problem to me.

Leave a comment:

• bobbytooslow
    replied
    Yup, seems totally logical to me. When brakes are outlawed, only Outlaws will have brakes.

Leave a comment:

• silow
    replied
    Did I hear on a podcast that 22 designs had been thinking about retractable ski brakes?
    Like an Outlaw without a tour mode but with a more functional ski brake.
    Let’s call it the In-law😁: easier step-in, lighter, cheaper... spread Telemark!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X