Contour hybrid skins - care and feeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contour hybrid skins - care and feeding

Anyone clean the glue side of Contour hybrid skins? Did you use Contour's cleaner, goo gone, or something else? How much newness did it restore?

I wasn't super impressed by their stickiness when new but after a dozen or so days, I have concerns about taking them on a big tour. I am resisting the temptation to touch up with BD Gold Label but also don't love the idea of paying $30 for a (generic?) cleaning product.
    Last edited by djhutch; 14 December 2020, 03:05 PM.

I've cleaned mine multiple times. i scrub them gently with a wet sponge and a little dish soap. I've used the wipes that come with their skins too, but the sponge works better... the wipes get really dirty really quick and then it's just swirling dirt around.

Comment

I cleaned my with Oxyclean which helped a lot but only to 90% of new. In the link below BCA says to use a baby wipe. Have yet to try it.

Gold Label won't work with the silicon hybrid glue.

https://backcountryaccess.com/en-us/...-now-available

Comment

I nearly bought some Contour hybrid mix skins, until I read this review on outdoorgearlab/ best climbing skins of 2020..Good glide and climbing rating,
        https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topic...climbing-skins

But the Contour hybrid mix skins didn't get very good reviews for "Glue Integrity Rating". I have a set of the Kohla Vacuum Base skins, with the same kind of silicon skin glue, and while they are a joy to rip skins, or pull apart, I too am worried about adhesion over the long term. Any snow or water behind the skins along the ski, and you can have problems. Ski bases, and skin adhesive have to be bare of snow, and dry. I am still testing them skinning up at the resort, and local one day tours. Not sure I would take them as my only skins on a hut trip.

So I ended up buying the Pomoca Pro S Glide skins instead for a new pair of skis.

More skin reviews here. Some commenters liked the Contour Hybrid Skins..
        https://www.wildsnow.com/26733/climb...-how-to-myths/

Comment

Long thread on cleaning Contour Hybrid skins on TGR
          https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...-Contour-Skins

Comment

Originally posted by chamonix View Post
            I nearly bought some Contour hybrid mix skins, until I read this review on outdoorgearlab/ best climbing skins of 2020..Good glide and climbing rating,
            https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topic...climbing-skins

But the Contour hybrid mix skins didn't get very good reviews for "Glue Integrity Rating". I have a set of the Kohla Vacuum Base skins, with the same kind of silicon skin glue, and while they are a joy to rip skins, or pull apart, I too am worried about adhesion over the long term. Any snow or water behind the skins along the ski, and you can have problems. Ski bases, and skin adhesive have to be bare of snow, and dry. I am still testing them skinning up at the resort, and local one day tours. Not sure I would take them as my only skins on a hut trip.

So I ended up buying the Pomoca Pro S Glide skins instead for a new pair of skis.

More skin reviews here. Some commenters liked the Contour Hybrid Skins..
            https://www.wildsnow.com/26733/climb...-how-to-myths/
            Some snow under the tail of the skin is no different than with conventional glue. No issue with a tail clip. But without a tail clip Gold Label will also fail. Personally I have had more issues doing lots of short laps with my BD skins than my Contours. The only issue I have had is not cleaning them. When applying skins I have always wiped the ski base with something like my sleeve or glove anyway. I have had to tape on failed skins a few times. There was one time I skinned out on astro turf and duct tape. The issues people are having with Contours is not from not cleaning the glue. I was unaware cleaning was required until I had a problem. That was after at least thirty days of touring. Clean your Kohla before leaving for the hut and carry the same backup you do for the Pomocas. I carry gaffe tape.

In the TGR link read the posts by werner.koch and ignore the rest. I'm super happy with my Contours.

Comment

Thanks for all the links and tips. I cleaned them yesterday using a citrus cleaner and rinsing with water. In my house, they don't seem much better now but I'll know more when I field test tomorrow. The funny thing is they didn't have much visible stuck to them, compared to all my "convention" skins which half a forest stuck to some of them and still stick great (with annual regluing).

I drank the cool aid and bought them when everyone was raving about them two seasons ago (including this forum's beloved owner). I have the newer ones with the black backs which are supposed to be the new/improved tackier ones. They were the unanimous winner back then - Backcoutry mag OGL had them as the their number 1 pick than year, compared to OGL's eighth place in the current 2020 review linked by Cham. This makes sense, the first time you used them and pull them apart they seem like they could be game changers, but after mid-term use this OGL sentence seems accurate to me "The glue and fabric employed by the Hybrid Mix skins stays on your skis worse than most. With fastidious use, they do all you need them to do. Get clumsy, though, and you will pay for it."

Call me clumsy, but I still can't get me head around doing a multi-day tour in the Spring and trusting them to stay on. And, their uphill grip is underwhelming even though their glide is nothing special by mohair mix standards.

I do like their skin bag best though.

Comment

A common theme I'm noticing in these posts about the lack of confidence in silicon based glues is the sense that they aren't really "sticking" to the base. The tacticle sensation of how these skins hold onto your bases does not inspire confidence because without pressure they don't have much grip. You've got to wipe the skins down, with pressure to get them to adhere. And then, once that is done, you need to put them flat on the ground and stand on 'em to get the suction to hold. If you keep them upright and you lift up on the skin to see how well it is stuck, uh, well, uh, they'll just let go nice and easy like they're supposed to.

As for cleaning, I haven't used any of the new silicon forumulations y'all have experienced but I know for the older versions I've tried, all I did was rinse them with warm water while brushing them lengthwise with a soapy toothbrush, and in some spots, a thumbnail. This always improved the suction enough to take another 5 -10 tours before needing another bath.

It sounds like your glue formulas have been "upgraded" one two many times.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

Hi, thanks for the comments.
                  Long story short: Make sure that your hybrid skins are as sticky as on the pic. If they are not, clean them using the cleaning wipes that come with all hybrid skins since last winter, or use the cleaning spray and a clean cloth or sponge (and some pressure). This also removes wax residues that won't come off by rinsing them with water or soap.
                  Get used to wipe off the ski base before mounting skins, this saves from cleaning them more than maybe once a season.
                  Stay safe, Werner www.contourskins.com Click image for larger version

Name:	20201208_144408.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	532.1 KB
ID:	105697

Comment

TL/DR: after cleaning the Contours, I took them on another tour, although they never truly "failed" (came completely off the ski), they slipped enough that their uphill performance sucked. I was about to try to cleaning more thoroughly (toothbrush? finger nail? rinsing skins with water? ugh) but couldn't bring myself to go through the PIA again because when brand new the glue performance was barely acceptable, so I skim coated with BD gold label. Ah, work like skins again! Like 'em almost equal to my Pomocas, equal to several pairs of BD Glidelites.

I know this renders me a heretic, a clueless human who can't change my old school ways, but seriously? I am supposed to clean my skins every 5-10 outings, with a toothbrush and finger nail, only to have the skin slide around on the ski for the luxury of not having to use to my external rotator cuff muscles? I never found a skin I could not rip apart, but only since my Snake Skin days 30 years ago have I found a skin that did not stick to the base of my skis - until the Contours. Isn't sticking to the ski half of what a skin is supposed to do? I am not looking for a tactical sensation, I am looking for a skin that sticks firmly enough that snow doesn't get up all in there.

I mentioned previously that I was underwhelmed with Contour's uphill performance, but what was going on was the skins were sliding around on the ski bases, making sidehilling especially challenging. I was on a relatively simple tour (Kendall Trees - for those from the PNW) with my recently cleaned skins and I was having trouble keeping up with my usual partner because the skins were slipping around. I got into the "V of death" on one steep kick turn and slipped down the hill, my partner was having a great time...
                    Some pics from the first lap:

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201222_174500170.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	3.57 MB
ID:	106961 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201222_184403847.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	3.52 MB
ID:	106962 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201222_185150397.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	106960
                    After performing the sacrilege of adding a "conventional" glue, I did a much more challenging skin (up Snoqualmie to the Slot), which is one those of those tours I think of ever time someone writes online something like "heel risers are for people with bad skin technique" or "I only use 100% mohair skins now, anything else is overkill" (i.e, it's effing steep and usually very icy) and the Contour's worked great! Six tours later and still work great. I realized when I rip skins, I actually want them to stick to each other. I also realize that not only do I not want to pick contamination off my silicone cups at home, I really don't want to wipe every speck of snow off my ski bases in the field.

I actually like cleaning and maintaining my gear to a fault, but I can't deal with the hassle for substandard skin performance.

Some people just don't get it...
                    Attached Files

Comment

Good update and nice skin reboot.

Comment

Working...
                      X