Meidjo 3.0 release testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ST toe only 31 Nm
    That's why I kept skiing out of my Dynafit Vertical ST binding, on hard snow..Glad to see the ST toe pieces have found a good home..
    Nice work, by the way.
    Last edited by chamonix; 21 November 2020, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Of course the other factor is the boot fitting. One of my TXP boots is definitely a smidgin more narrow, so releases too readily on the Dynafit toe and I often ski with it locked. No problem with the Meidjo, and that is an early model.
      With the meidjo 3, can you skin without having to lock it?

Comment

I have yet to have the toe release while skinning unlocked. of course that is likely more due to the fact that i haven't skinned with yet, than any design feature.

but, i expect yes you could. Dostie mentions if the vertical is 30 Nm and the M3.0 50 Nm, then the G3 is likely around 45Nm. I assume because he has touched all three and has a gut feel. And on wildsnow, somewhere, dawson mentions being able to skin with the G3 unlocked. therefore...

back to pre-release. it is one of the fundamental weaknesses of the traditional 2 pin toe, just not enough elastic energy storage. I think that is why you see the "best" releasing pin tech bindings go different ways. fritchi with the sliding toes, trab with their TR2 toe, salomon shift and marker duke PT ditching the pins in downhill mode, dyanfit vertical rotation deleting the pins from the release equation via a rotating toe.

I am sort keen to try a rotating toe with with a meidjo spring box. something for after the TR2 project.

Comment

jasonq, can you kick out of Meidjo 3 toes with springbox? Meaning, opposite heel kicks the heel locked in to get you to pop out? Or twist out, without kicking? When I compare twisting out on my Meidjo 2 to twisting on my Freerides, the Freerides have "too much" elasticity. What can happen is that I wind up with the boot at 10 degrees to the ski, but still kind of held by the binding, and struggling to get it to go the rest of the way out. Not an issue with kicking though.

The thing I really want to see an engineer like you work on is redesigning the spring box with an open back, but still with a 3.0 step in. That might require that it be metal though to be strong enough.

Comment

Originally posted by xmatt View Post
            The thing I really want to see an engineer like you work on is redesigning the spring box with an open back, but still with a 3.0 step in. That might require that it be metal though to be strong enough.
            Yes, an open back would be huge. It would likely mean no release on that end, but some folks are willing to make that tradeoff. And yes, it would likely need to be metal.

I've tried designing a few replacement springboxes. The hangup is finding rectangular tubing in the right dimensions. Yes, I could machine something totally from scratch, but that seems like a lot of work, and a pain in the butt to repeat. I first thought that an upside-down U would work, but there's no good way to attach it to the plastic and have it be durable. A full rectangle is pretty much required for durability's sake. I found some 70mm x 50mm stock, but it makes for a really tall springbox. Onlinemetals sells 70mm x 30mm but only in really long (expensive) lengths.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

It might be possible to have release with an open back. The current binding uses the back also to hold the release springs. But, with the new toe, sounds like jasonq might not want any additional retention at the back, so he could go with just some roller bearings at the sides or something, just barely overlapping the back of the duckbutt, with no spring. For those like me who would still want some, but not that much, additional retention at the back, maybe one could get by with a leaf spring that could fit on the side. That is perhaps the side of the box holding the duckbutt could be a leaf spring itself and bend out of the way when you release.

Comment

jasonq, can you kick out of Meidjo 3 toes with springbox? Meaning, opposite heel kicks the heel locked in to get you to pop out? .
                i have not tried kicking out. IMO, that is not safety release, that is break away.

Or twist out, without kicking? .
                No, i can't. and that is a problem.

the Freerides have "too much" elasticity. What can happen is that I wind up with the boot at 10 degrees to the ski, but still kind of held by the binding, and struggling to get it to go the rest of the way out. Not an issue with kicking though. .
                yes, no, totally different. What happens is after twisting out slowly of the toe on pin is still in the cup (typical for a slow twist of of the 2 pin two), the heel is is out of the hooks but still being driven forward by the springs. And that jams the other pin into the front of the boot does (gouging the boot toe). And there it can sit, with three stable points of contact, one cup, one pin buried in the plastic, and the corner of the duck but still under the claw. it come right out with a little pop. I think in a real crash with any sort of momentum where ski and i have differing ideas on which way to do, it would come out cleaner.

Comment

Working...
                X