Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bacon and grilled cheese sandwich, 20-21 New England ski thread..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another 10k ski in the Notch this morning. It was more packed down than yesterday and skate skis would have been the better call. Snow was falling as I returned from Stowe to Smuggs.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by Grant; 28 December 2020, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Nordic fun in the Notch this morning.

Comment

Nice Grant. Those are skinny skis ! Jay Peak had about 4 inches of new snow today, but by 10:30 some crowds, so I bailed.

Comment

Originally posted by Grant View Post
          Nordic fun in the Notch this morning.
          The two people at the end look on in awe.

As well they should!

Comment

Originally posted by chamonix View Post
            Nice Grant. Those are skinny skis ! Jay Peak had about 4 inches of new snow today, but by 10:30 some crowds, so I bailed.
            44mm underfoot gave us just the float we needed.

Originally posted by aqua toque View Post

The two people at the end look on in awe.

As well they should!
            We certainly got stares, whoops, and cheers making tele turns on the nordie sticks and soft boots.

Comment

Skied Jay Peak today, with first storm since, well Nov 3rd? Maybe 6 inches new snow?
              It was quite the cluster f**ck. Got to Jet chairlift line at 8:30, before lift ran. Lineup at that time, was all the way to end of rope corrals. After one run, line up was creeping up the Jet , beyond the first lift tower.

See picture to right.
              Turns out Bonnie chair wasn't running, so everyone was at the Jet. Click image for larger version  Name:	Huge lift line 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.20 MB ID:	106131
              I went back to car, and got pack and skins. Skinned up to Northway, for the exercise. At least it was good, sticky snow. Good for the snow base we need..
              Last edited by chamonix; 2 January 2021, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Can anyone give me some insight into Hazen's Notch Association Trails? Cham?

We are thinking of heading that way this weekend for a little nordic tour. I found their website, but it's clear that it's not updated too often. I found a USFS topo map with their trails, but not exactly a solid trail map. I would expect low snow and limited grooming.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Grant View Post
                  Can anyone give me some insight into Hazen's Notch Association Trails? Cham?

We are thinking of heading that way this weekend for a little nordic tour. I found their website, but it's clear that it's not updated too often. I found a USFS topo map with their trails, but not exactly a solid trail map. I would expect low snow and limited grooming.

Any feedback is appreciated.
                  I'll look into it. Not sure if there are any tracks are being set now, business seems to be into decline. Snow base is kind of low. I skinned up at Jay Peak this morning, and going anywhere, off the trails without an artificial base was asking for trouble. I went asking for trouble, with a friend.

p.s. Just spoke to a friend who skied at Hazens Notch on Saturday. No maps, no one was there to collect any fee. No set tracks. You could ski there but you would be on your own.
                  You would find a more organized setup at Jay Peak. Nordic tracks set, maps, and a fee. I haven't skied these trails this year, but skiing West Bowl years past, then picked up Nordic trails to ski out, they were pretty cool with lean-tos for lunch.
                  Last edited by chamonix; 12 January 2021, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chamonix View Post

I'll look into it. Not sure if there are any tracks are being set now, business seems to be into decline. Snow base is kind of low. I skinned up at Jay Peak this morning, and going anywhere, off the trails without an artificial base was asking for trouble. I went asking for trouble, with a friend.

p.s. Just spoke to a friend who skied at Hazens Notch on Saturday. No maps, no one was there to collect any fee. No set tracks. You could ski there but you would be on your own.
                    You would find a more organized setup at Jay Peak. Nordic tracks set, maps, and a fee. I haven't skied these trails this year, but skiing West Bowl years past, then picked up Nordic trails to ski out, they were pretty cool with lean-tos for lunch.
                    Thanks, cham. The forecast is rather unsettled right now so it may have to be a last minute decision.

Comment

If you go for Nordic at Jay Peak, you have to go to the Rental Shop on Tramside, to get a Nordic ski pass, and maps. Not the golf course which used to be the Nordic center.

Nice Tele cruising on the groomers, this morning with my TX Comps, Outlaws and Volkl Kendos. Heavenly corduroy, first few runs on the Bonnie.
                      Last edited by chamonix; 13 January 2021, 07:50 PM.

Comment

National Weather Service
                        Snow forecast for storm over weekend
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	Winter Storm Jan 2021.jpg Views:	1 Size:	215.3 KB ID:	106705

Of course, the resorts will be a zoo over the weekend? Good time to skin up early in the morning, like I did yesterday..Though, at 7:00 am people were skiing down passing me ! They must have skinned up with headlamps. I'm not that hard core..
                        Last edited by chamonix; 13 January 2021, 08:03 PM.

Comment

While I expect there will be a net positive, the warm temps and high likelihood of rain has me discouraged for the weekend. Of course, NOAA's long term forecast of an ongoing La Nina winter has me downright depressed.

Comment

I skied Jay Peak today. Skiing , I was coated with a layer of ice, during each run from the light freezing drizzle. But the groomers were empty, and beautifully smooth. Which was a good thing, because you couldn't see the surface at all.

Making lemonade, from lemons, cruising on my new Kendo 92s, with Outlaws..

Comment

New forecast, Friday AM. . Looks like the snow, WILL make it to Jay Peak. Click image for larger version

Name:	Jan storm 2021.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	261.0 KB
ID:	106739

Last edited by chamonix; 15 January 2021, 07:31 AM.

Comment

I'll chime in a bit with my take on Jay Peak Nordic Center and Hazen's Notch, though Chamonix explained it pretty well...
                                I worked at the nordic center one season (very part time) about 5 years ago, and of course skied there a good bit. Haven't been there much since. I'm 20 minutes away. There are some good trails there, but the only way to get to them is a long gradual climb thru the golf course. It's most often icy/bare spots/rutted. The woods are not the most appealing. The XC room is in a windowless basement, pretty barren, no stove of any kind. But, there's free hot chocolate. Sadly, the nordic center does not have the interest of the "director", and it shows. Grooming is not guaranteed.
                                I ski at Hazen's Notch several times a season; I'm about 15 minutes from there. As Cham says, the welcome hut is closed more often than not, trails are not likely to be groomed, but there are usually skier's tracks. The woods and trails are pretty nice; it has a local back woods sort of feel, some camp shelters or tables in a few spots.

Personally, I'd go Hazen's Notch and be OK with booting up in the car.

Comment

Working...
                                X