No announcement yet.

Advice on installing tech toe inserts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if you have a trashed boot, practice first.

i sort of did this to a pair of very old T3's, but never had an intention of actually skiing them.

one idea to consider. if you can cut your insert pockets just perfect to a bit small, then heat the metal cups up, and push them in, they should melt the pebax and give a nice fit?

but i would just find voodoo's and take the scaffo off those and combine them with the kenai parts. much easier and safer all around.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonq View Post
      ...i would just find voodoo's and take the scaffo off those and combine them with the kenai parts. much easier and safer all around.
      Best advice so far.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

Redd, have you checked out this post from last spring? My version of bolting on a tech toe is heavy but easily done. Click a few of the links in the original post to see others who have done what you are trying to do.
        https://www.backcountrytalk.com/foru...cing-duck-bill

Comment

Did you ever finish this project, redd?

Comment

Grant - I haven’t gotten to it yet. Still in the works, I’ve removed the part of the file that needs to be removed and have started in a little jig to get all the drilling grinding in the right place. Too busy right now to get to the rest. I’ll update when I do get to it.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonq View Post
              one idea to consider. if you can cut your insert pockets just perfect to a bit small, then heat the metal cups up, and push them in, they should melt the pebax and give a nice fit?
              I like this idea. I have a homemade spot welder that would heat that metal insert wedged in place very quickly and the heat is easy to control. It melts metal if you leave it on, or could just send a fast blast of high heat to melt the pebax for a snug fit. Just a thought on another possible technique...
              the fall line is your friend.... resistance is futile

Comment

tele.skier - I think that's a great idea and will research the heat needed to soften pebax. I might be able to do something like that.

Comment

hmm... per Arkema, seems that molding temps range from 10-60° C (50-140° F). We all know that 50° F is wrong, but it looks like a heat gun on the metal insert to get it to maybe around 120° to start could work.

Comment

i use 220C for 3d printing Pebax filament.

but mold temp is not the same as the temp of the plastic being injected into the mold. It is the temperature of the mold. Mold temp has to be well below the melt time so the part solidifies. So the 10C could be right, for mold temp. And you will need hotter to seat the metal insert.

Comment

Thank you for the tips jasonq!

Comment

Working...
                      X