Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BC Towns to work remote in and ski?

Howdy folks,

I'm a flatlander living in Ontario blessed with a stable job and the ability to work remote. I've done uphill trips in the Whites and BC.

Given that I can work remote I'm planning on driving to BC in the winter and living out there for 2-3 months while working. Do you have any tips on finding good ski towns? Some combination of
    • resort (that's mostly chair lifts if they're going to restrict gondolas again)
    • good internet
    • bachelor housing (I may find a friend to join) that isn't crazy expensive. I do come from a big city, so I can pay quite a bit in rent.
    • skinning terrain
    • some vibrant community to make friends
    Also, any guide/set of resources for this kind of planning (or things to search in the search bar here or elsewhere?).

Many thanks.

Back in the day the internet wasn't so good, but it has probably improved a few orders of magnitude since then so I'd recommend Revelstoke or Golden. They might not meet all your criteria, but are certainly worth investigating. The terrain in between (Rogers Pass) is sick.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

Originally posted by Dostie View Post
      Back in the day the internet wasn't so good, but it has probably improved a few orders of magnitude since then so I'd recommend Revelstoke or Golden. They might not meet all your criteria, but are certainly worth investigating. The terrain in between (Rogers Pass) is sick.
      Yeah I'm strongly leaning towards Revelstoke. It's one of the few places where I know people and not too far from Calgary, where I also know people.

I also skinned NRC and Balu (sp?), so _ever_ so slightly familiar with the area.

Comment

Fernie
        Great town, restaurants and you don't have to drive the terrifying Rogers Pass. Just the more benign Crows Nest Pass, and Fernie is only 3 1/2 hours from Calgary airport.
        Big mountain, when they have storms, it can take 2 or 3 days for terrain to open, with rolling openings. So 2 days after a storm, you can get lucky with the chance of being in line for a rope drop. Tele skiing there helps, with lots of long traverses to get the goods.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	Phil in Fernie 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.44 MB ID:	104309 My son, in Fernie age 12. His first trip out West to a big mountain

Comment

I think Revelstoke you need to ride a gondola , from the base area, to get up to Ripper and Stoke?

https://www.revelstokemountainresort...-Full_1920.jpg

Comment

no idea about internet, but i always liked Nelson, BC. Whitewater while not a large area, has a great vibe. plus there was that swedish telemarker figure skating instructor i met there.

golden is pretty sweet too, and kicking horse is very awesome, but very gondola centric, which could be an issue.

and a second for fernie.

Comment

Rossland is another option. Red Mountain has great terrain with all lifts. Lots of great touring too.

Comment

No avalanches in Saskatchewan.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sask avalanche.png
Views:	71
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	104325

Comment

I thought farmers occasionally die in avalanches of grain, in silos?

Comment

Remoteskier,

Could be a good year... they are calling for a la nina - which typically means good skiing in BC.

But... it's COVID. So, you never know what will happen and if the resorts will stay open all winter or not. My hunch is they will now that we have learned ways of coping and nobody wants to go back to full out lockdown.

Covid will likely put a damper on the 'vibrant communities'. Although, interior BC is fairly well covid free and we are living fairly normally here - don't bring it please.

Both Kicking Horse (Golden) and Revelstoke require gondolas to access the mountain.

Fernie is great but in a normal year would be nearly impossible to find accommodation that meets your criteria. Who knows how COVID will have affected it.

I like the idea of being somewhere near Nelson or Rossland. They are not far from each other (about an hour drive on dry roads). It would be practical to take road trips to the one you are not staying in. However, neither place has the ski resort right in town. Whitewater (Nelson) is actually quite a drive up a mountain from Nelson (suggest 4x4 and winter tires). Nelson has a cooler vibe and more to do in the town, but Red Mountain (Rossland) has very easily accessible side country. I think you'd have better luck finding somewhere to stay in Nelson than Rossland (just a guess). Trail is just down the hill from Rossland but I don't think you want to stay there (not as nice and a serious drive up to the hill - something like 750m of elevation difference), although it might be the only place you can find accommodation that is available and reasonably priced.

Not sure about the touring near Whitewater. All the touring I've done in the area has been North of Nelson (the other way) and has been accessed by snowmobile - as is much of the interior BC.

Thinking this through a bit more, Kootenay Pass is under an hour from Nelson (Whitewater side), opposite direction of Rossland, and is probably the best road accessed touring (besides Roger's Pass, but simpler terrain) in BC. So that would put another argument for setting up shop in Nelson.... Whitewater resort up the road. Red Mountain an hour away, Kootenay Pass an hour the other way.

oh, and as for the internet, this winter is 2021. I think you'll be ok. Although you never know, we were bikepacking in the West Kootenays this summer and there wasn't any cel service in a lot of the areas we passed through (I think the locals like it that way). We have fibre optic internet at home.

Although if you have to fly or drive out, the airport near Nelson and Rossland is Castlegar. Nicknamed 'cancelgar' and likely with covid their flight schedule is quite paltry. It's a long drive to any major centre.

Comment

I think any of these ski areas, you want 4X4 and real snow tires. I always have a big fight at the Calgary rental car counter, trying to get a car with either 4X4 or 4 snow tires for a ski week in Fernie. On a sunny day in Calgary with dry roads.
                      It's hard to explain to someone, that BC law REQUIRES snow tires for these passes. Crows Nest Pass sign below.Click image for larger version  Name:	Crows Nest Pass sign 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.48 MB ID:	104332 So always a battle. Usually I end up negotiating a $5/day surcharge, just for safety equipment (4 snows) to keep their rental car out of the ditch. If they even have a car with 4 snows.
                      Interesting, that in Quebec, after Nov 15th ALL cars operated privately, or rentals must be equipped with snow tires.
                      Last edited by chamonix; 18 October 2020, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonq View Post
                        no idea about internet, but i always liked Nelson, BC. Whitewater while not a large area, has a great vibe. plus there was that swedish telemarker figure skating instructor i met there.

golden is pretty sweet too, and kicking horse is very awesome, but very gondola centric, which could be an issue.

and a second for fernie.
                        WH2O has sold-out their season passes for this year. Day tickets will be in limited supply as the have a max skiers-per-day-quota.

https://www.facebook.com/whitewaters...58710758268630

Comment

Originally posted by chamonix View Post
                          I think any of these ski areas, you want 4X4 and real snow tires. I always have a big fight at the Calgary rental car counter, trying to get a car with either 4X4 or 4 snow tires for a ski week in Fernie. On a sunny day in Calgary with dry roads.
                          It's hard to explain to someone, that BC law REQUIRES snow tires for these passes. Crows Nest Pass sign below.Click image for larger version Name:	Crows Nest Pass sign 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.48 MB ID:	104332 So always a battle. Usually I end up negotiating a $5/day surcharge, just for safety equipment (4 snows) to keep their rental car out of the ditch. If they even have a car with 4 snows.
                          Interesting, that in Quebec, after Nov 15th ALL cars operated privately, or rentals must be equipped with snow tires.
                          M+S isn't much of a requirement. Don't most "all-season" tires carry that designation? (Not a comment on the tires you actually want when you rent, just saying the legal requirement doesn't seem like a high barrier.)

Comment

Originally posted by mo pow View Post

M+S isn't much of a requirement. Don't most "all-season" tires carry that designation? (Not a comment on the tires you actually want when you rent, just saying the legal requirement doesn't seem like a high barrier.)
                            Well maybe M&S could be legal as per the sign, but I always insist on real snow tires. Too many scary drives in a blizzard going through these passes.

Comment

Yes, it's funny about those signs. They tell you that winter tires are required, that the tires need the snowflake in the mountain logo but the sign has M+S on it. I just checked the BC website and it says M+S are allowed, but the snowflake is recommended. Even if you have M+S, you need to have a certain tread depth.

Comment

Working...
                              X