No announcement yet.

Powder pulls the plug? Say it ain't so.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powder pulls the plug? Say it ain't so.

Breaking...

Adventure Journal story (Cassimiro was former Editor at Powder)

Powder Mag put on the chopping block

Last edited by Dostie; 5 October 2020, 05:02 PM.

ain't no turn like tele!

A sad day indeed. Powder will be missed.
    It's turns! Of course it's worth the hike!

Comment

this cover was memorable. I seem to remember a similar one from the old viking fjord USSA telemark series, but that could have been ski magazine, or me being drunk. even money either way.
      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

The Captain Powder years were fun!

Comment

Good riddance...they did a hit piece on me. I have a video of my short response, but never posted it. Maybe I should! But I like to think I've moved on from that party. To "resorty" and ad smothered anyway.

Didn't read it much otherwise or ski mags generally except Couloir and BC. I had a backyard to tend too! The "Valdez...Sick As It Gets" cover and story in 1992 about WESC launched the ballyhoo about the secret Chugach. The first Valdez story though was in the mid-80s and was about ski touring with John Weiland in the Pass and by sail in the Sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Valdez Telehead View Post
            Good riddance...they did a hit piece on me.
            They did. It was a one-sided story favoring the heli crowd. Not cool. Not at all.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

I could have a lot to say on this but simply put:

Quoting Steve Casimiro:

The two big lessons here are 1) that we publishers need to give you an awesome product, but 2) if we do, you need to step up and pay for it.

I agree that we the consumers need to pay more in this day in age to support well-thought out media that may be free. But Powder - in its latest form - also needed to actually be an awesome product to warrant that support.
              Last edited by JackO; 8 October 2020, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JackO View Post
                I could have a lot to say on this but simply put:

Quoting Steve Casimiro:

The two big lessons here are 1) that we publishers need to give you an awesome product, but 2) if we do, you need to step up and pay for it.
                Curious what you would say. Theoretically you can. Doubt I would censor you.

The problem is we tend to only pay for what we NEED. We need skis to ski. We don't need well written articles. We might like them, even appreciate them and enjoy reading them, but paying for it? Trust me, I wish more would, but the percentage of media consumers that are willing to support what they feed on is woefully small.

BTW - Backcountry Mag's Gear Guide finally arrived. Haven't read the fine print yet, just browsed through it. I think most of their Editor's Choice products deserve the kudos. Definitely they do in the boots department, but that is also dependent on whether they do, or can be adjusted to fit your foot, or not. That's a mag worth supporting, IMO.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

Thoughtful reflection by Tyler Cohen at Backcountry Mag

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

I was never much of a magazine reader unless I was about to get on a long airplane flight, then I would buy a magazine in the airport just to have something to read to pass the time on the flight. Tonight I was reading about induction motors and run capacitor technology since I was rebuilding one of my compressors today which was not working properly and I was curious about something technical. Most of my reading is technical research for my projects.

Maybe the fate of all printed magazines is like the fate of manufacturers of wagon wheels. They lost out because they were replaced by the next technology. (automobiles) I think printed media of all kinds are in decline these days. The blame doesn't fall on the magazine as a fault of poor craftsmanship, any more than the demise of horse drawn wagons reflects on the craftsmanship of those manufacturers. Maybe the culture has changed to the point where there's so many options out there (like youtube) for skiers to get their ski "fix". Maybe printed articles with compelling stories and great pictures can't compete with free videos on youtube where guys are posting death defying descents in Chamonix backcountry and alike. No reading (or brain stem functioning) required, you just click "play".

An analogy I make often is, "You can't have a store that sells lemonade next to a store that gives away free lemonade". If all things regarding the lemonades are equal, people will take the free lemonade rather than pay for it. Simple economic principle there...

Adam, Tyler, Lucy, and all the people at backcountry are awesome people. I had the great privilege to meet them all. I hope they survive these hard times,... so I'm going to support them and order another year of Backcountry...

Backcountry magazine is certainly more in my wheelhouse than Powder magazine was. In fact, Backcountry magazine is a good magazine and worth the money...
                    the fall line is your friend.... resistance is futile

Comment

Working...
                    X