No announcement yet.

ebike for access, utilitarian use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

as long as we are drifting from ebikes, if i had a spare fortune handy, this is what e-fill in the blank- i would get on of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suoE8nqEJwg

wouldn't mind a one wheel too, but not sure if i am willing to brave the crashing phase.

Comment

^ ^ ^ foils rule ^ ^ ^

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

Ehh...f ebikes, and I suppose while I'm here, f foils too. Not much more needs to be said.

Comment

Originally posted by grm View Post
          Ehh...f ebikes, and I suppose while I'm here, f foils too. Not much more needs to be said.
          Well, there is more to be said. The Op is asking legitimate questions as he probably wants to get away from crowded TH's and have access to areas where only snowmobiles can go now. Maybe hit areas where snowmobiles can't go. As far as foiling, this is energizing water sports from tow behind boats and especially wind sports which for the past number of years is dying out. Electric power and technology is the future. This is going to get people out and off the couch, kids too... So, you want to be a purist? get involved in bannings and see how far you go...
          "Just say no to groomed snow"

Comment

Here in Scotland it is often necessary to hike an hour + to get to the snow. There are a few places where an ebike would be a boon. I would go for the cheapest, simplest fat tyred one...I would be too happy leaving a higher spec bike on the hill, specially as it would be worth 2x as much as my car. Just waiting for the right bargain on eBay

Comment

Us forest service is revising national ebike policy to be similar to dept of interior. https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...ravel-planning

Comment

especially wind sports which for the past number of years is dying out.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	Carine and Alan sailing.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	772.8 KB ID:	103940Click image for larger version  Name:	Alan sailing solo.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	793.7 KB ID:	103941 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050343.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	4.52 MB
ID:	103942

Really ?? We have three of these 40 + year old Lasers; up where I sail in Georgian Bay.
                My boat at the dock. Click image for larger version

Name:	Water toys.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	103943
                Still a popular sailing/racing class around the world.
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J3vzEZ0GQw
                Last edited by chamonix; 26 September 2020, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Ha, pretty big topic shift but I never said "dead", I said dying out and using 40 YO gear is IMO, dying out. So, take a look at Laser sailing, it had some popularity in the 70's but lost that when people started Windsurfing which also has lost popularity. People looking for new water recreation moved to Kiteboarding which is also in the process of losing popularity. Like most things, there is a bell curve that affects most activities.

So, what did and why does things die out? Probably the fact that using Windsurfing and Kiting as a example and for a stretch Telemark skiing too is that kids don't like it and the activity doesn't keep moving forward. For Windsurfing is the fact that the gear is too heavy and not fun for kids, kiteboarding is too dangerous and a adult sport, Telemark skiing, you fill in the blank.

Now, getting back to water activity. This new thing, maybe a fad but maybe not, Winging is something that kids can do, the new gear is inflatable and light. Setup and transporting to water is easy and it can be used on small bodies of water in lighter wind. From what I see, just here and other places, kids are playing with it and getting out and having fun, where in the past the family would go to the beach and watch dad do his thing.

Topic drift? Sure but lesson to be learned.

Comment

Quad, it’s all about marketing and delivering something new to purchase to the susceptible market...😳

A certain segment of the population is driven by trends and a need to feel cutting edge.

Others stick with something they have worked hard to gain the required skills.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Eastman View Post
                      Quad, it’s all about marketing and delivering something new to purchase to the susceptible market...😳

A certain segment of the population is driven by trends and a need to feel cutting edge.

Others stick with something they have worked hard to gain the required skills.
                      Sure, the key statement is "certain segment of the population" and here in this context that segment is families that are into water play, live near water and go play on the water as a dedicated family activity. Wind activities is most certainly a specialty and more of a adult activity for a number of reasons. I was trying to point out that Winging even so it is trendy and new is something that ambitious kids can have fun with and maybe move forward.

Comment

I disagree with Eastman, I’m on foils now and it has nothing to do with marketing. Actually it’s a refinement of 42 years of wind sports. I can foil (windsurf and wingsurf foil) in less wind now and use less gear that’s easier to transport. That said when it gets really windy, 25 mph and up I’m on my normal windsurfing gear. And with climate change it certainly allows people who enjoy water/wind sports to enjoy wind sports when weather patterns have changed. Living on the west coast I’ve surfed even longer, since 1966 and still love it, I just like water sports and appreciate the skills necessary to surf, windsurf, kite, foil. Plus I like learning new skills so the idea that it’s about marketing is total BS. Besides it’s just fun!

Comment

When do I get my indoor trainer E-bike?.......Peleton? Cascade? How about some E-weights so I can finally bench 200pds?

Comment

Yeah, ebikes and foils...like rubbing one out, when you don't have the jam to get a partner for the real thing. Nothing intrinsically wrong with it, but no need to make a public spectacle of yourself just cause you are too old and worn out to do the real thing...just go ahead, but keep it to yourself.

Comment

Well Sunshine, sounds like you don't like older folks and they should just shut up and fad away. Or, maybe you are the 400#er who is jealous because your TFTF (too fat to f**k). I am older, maybe the oldest here, spend a day in my shoes and see how far you get.

Comment

Do it, you won’t regret it, I probably did at least 15 bike to ski missions las season. I use a non E bike fat bike for missions that I need to ride some distance on consolidated snow. I use my ebike now for longer approaches with out much snow, really cuts down on the approach time which can be key in spring conditions where timing is everything. I’ll post a couple videos, more heavy on skiing than on the bike though

Comment

Working...
                                X