MEC selling out ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spiny Norman View Post
    On the matter of the skin track, I have a set a snowshoe track, had skiers come along after me and then claim the track is theirs for all eternity. Some trails around here get snowshoes, boot pack and ski tracks. Cheers
    Zonca wrote,
    Yes new directors would need to pass a test on skin track protocol.
    Booting up a beautifully set skin track is the ultimate sin. Especially on a steep hill, because then your climbing skins won't grip. Next thing you know, you slide backwards, into a tree, then your ski tails, and your lower body fall into a tree well. It's happened to me.
    Last edited by chamonix; 4 October 2020, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chamonix View Post
      Booting up a beautifully set skin track is the ultimate sin. Especially on a steep hill, because then your climbing skins won't grip.
      Setting a steep skin track was the original sin.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

To be clear here, I do not condone booting up a skin track. (And why would you) However, skinning up a hiking/snowshoe trail does not make it a skintrack for the rest of the winter. It's happened to me.

Comment

Member since 83 in Vancouver. Went to SFU although I’m American and loved my time there. The coop was a second home getting ready for trips. Between that and Coast Mountain Sports and Taiga I established the little known urban Gearhead Traverse. Summit was Soft Rock Cafe in Kits for tea and baked goods. Such a great ski and mountaineering community there in those days.
          I'll be back.

- Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Oldschooldropout View Post
            I established the little known urban Gearhead Traverse. Summit was Soft Rock Cafe in Kits for tea and baked goods.
            woah. Impressive.

Right up there with the ascent of Rum Doodle!

Comment

I was on the urban Gearhead Traverse a lot too, when I had YVR layovers. Always dropped into Taiga, and the MEC. In those days, of early Gortex, you had to drip liquid seam sealer on all the stitching. I have to re -seal this Taiga Anorak.
              Summit of Mt Baker on a AAI course..1982 Click image for larger version  Name:	Mt Baker summit.jpg Views:	2 Size:	33.2 KB ID:	104150
              Last edited by chamonix; 11 October 2020, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chamonix View Post
                I was on the urban Gearhead Traverse a lot too, when I had YVR layovers. Always dropped into Taiga, and the MEC. In those days, of early Gortex, you had to drip liquid seam sealer on all the stitching. I have to re -seal this Taiga Anorak.

Yup, those were the days when Taiga jackets and pants were pretty much standard equipment around here and MEC was the go-to place for climbing gear.

Denali West Buttress, 1989. Taiga Jacket and pants. MEC everything else.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Denali 40.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	104199

Comment

Summit Ice. Deny nothing!

Comment

Oh, I see, it's mountain-equipment-co-op-dirtbag-seam-sealed-grainy-photo-scan time.

Columbia Icefield 19??:

Name:	col1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	461.0 KB
ID:	104213

Name:	col2.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	429.3 KB
ID:	104214

Comment

Ok, I will contribute another picture. All Taiga jackets..
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	ray Huascaran 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1,023.3 KB ID:	104216
                      Day two climbing Huascaran Click image for larger version  Name:	Morning camp Huascarn.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.30 MB ID:	104217 No pin, looks like we have the same jacket?

I've got lot's more dirtbag, climbing grainy pictures..
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	Royal Arches.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.19 MB ID:	104218 pitch #8, on Royal Arches, after an A2 section. The log balancing act on.. Click image for larger version  Name:	The Log Royal Arches 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.68 MB ID:	104220 Royal Arches. I think this shirt was from the YYC MEC?

All pictures 1983?
                      Last edited by chamonix; 15 October 2020, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Bamboo glacier wanders unite!

Down with satellites!

Name:	Sputnik_670.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	104244

Comment

Working...
                        X