MEC selling out ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MEC selling out ?

CBC reports, that the Canadian Mountain Equipment Coop is being sold...to Kingswood Capital Management in Los Angeles
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...tion-1.5725396

comments?

I couldn't help but notice, the snow shoe traveler, Sara Golling , in the second image is trashing a nice skin track !
    Last edited by chamonix; 16 September 2020, 08:20 PM.

I think they lost their way some time ago, when they decided growth was good. So much for the emphasis on “self propelled recreation” when they started selling downhill ski gear 😳. Then they got into yoga wear etc. “Lifestyle” gear was on the increase due to the new management philosophy. I joined in 1976 when they were in a second floor space on Pine Street in Vancouver and it was a great vibe and staff, who knew their stuff.

The new owners, I’m sure, have an eye on the bottom line so low margin items, like skis, will be de-emphasized and we’ll get more lifestyle crap. I bet Valhalla Pure and Escape Route are cracking open the champagne in BC as we speak.

Comment

I joined in 1979 (?) , when the Calgary MEC was above the House of Tools. I guess that dates me . Got to know quite a few of the MEC staff there; used to come out to Calgary, and do some ice climbs with them.
      Later a group of us, went to Peru in 1983 to do some high altitude stuff.

Comment

Returned a stove I purchased recently and have a credit for 200 bucks. Should I worry? Alfred E. sez no.

Rough guess has me joining in 1980 at the Toronto store. Picked up a pair of 7X21 binoculars. Amazingly good optics that could pick out the moons of Jupiter. A good purchase for a C note. Haven't been able to find anything approaching that quality since. Such is life.

I like to check their clearance rack and have been happy finding technical clothes at a decent price. Full pop is a bit much but better than half price appeals to me.

The occasional dividend checks were a welcome bonus but haven't seen one of those in years. Have to admit that a lot of my spare cash has gone to MEC over all those years. Good quality and good selection. Have they lost their way? I suppose but I'm not in charge. Used to be a great place to find tele gear but now they are snowshoes and new style x-country gear. I was able to get some three pin leather boots for one of my son in laws a few years ago but not sure if they still carry that stuff.

Comment

Toronto store opened in 1985? Looks like I guessed wrong about my join date. Was sure it was before I got married. Brain fade.

Comment

yeah, Ironic that she's booting in the skin track...
            the fall line is your friend.... resistance is futile

Comment

Originally posted by petey View Post
              Was sure it was before I got married.
              It can't be easy to hide gear purchases from your wife before you have a wife.

Well done!

Comment

Originally posted by chamonix View Post
                ...when the Calgary MEC was above the House of Tools.
                One stop shopping. A beautiful thing.

That was the 11 Ave location I believe.

They then moved to the the awesome location near the 10th St. bridge on the Bow (close to Sunnyside where I lived).

Which was subsequently snapped up by a group of monks when MEC embarked on their doomed path of expansion.
                Last edited by aqua toque; 17 September 2020, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by petey View Post
                  The occasional dividend checks were a welcome bonus....
                  Just put in a call to my guy! This leaves a big hole in the retirement portfolio.

Comment

Originally posted by tele.skier View Post
                    yeah, Ironic that she's booting in the skin track...
                    We get all sorts booting our skintracks up here so a founder of MEC is no big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by aqua toque View Post

We get all sorts booting our skintracks up here so a founder of MEC is no big deal.
                      Well, if I saw her (or anyone) chewing up a good skin track, I would be doing some education and lecturing right there..
                      Of course, in her case I would be accused of "Man-splaining"..

"Do you know what those two parallel tracks in the snow are for, and what made them? Skis."
                      Last edited by chamonix; 17 September 2020, 09:37 PM.

Comment

I joined when they were in that quonset hut on 4th.

https://www.change.org/p/members-of-...redirect=false
                        “Taking away someone’s opinion is no different than sewing a man’s butthole shut.”

Comment

We had some early warning when the stock got very thin at the Ottawa store a few weeks back. Selling out to a "private equity firm" is a shocker though. Do we get our $5CAD membership refunded? I joined sometime in the early 80s when $5 could still buy a decent lunch.

Comment

Originally posted by zonca View Post
                            Selling out to a "private equity firm" is a shocker though.
                            If that keeps up with current trends, MEC will become saddled with debt and potentially declare bankruptcy in 5-15 years.

Comment

For those so inclined, you can add your voice here:
                              https://www.ourmec.ca

Comment

Working...
                              X