No announcement yet.

The Covidemic plague on skiing makes me sick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched a few youtube videos on rishiri island. It looks amazing as a trip experience, with a lot of challenges from both intense wind and exposure to some serious weather conditions. I don't think I have the fitness to really get my money's worth there...

Take pictures Chez, so we can all enjoy vicariously... and be safe. The high winds there has to make for some tricky avy conditions.
    the fall line is your friend.... resistance is futile

Comment

You would be fine. There is so much air at those elevations. A Fin named Sami Sarsama who I met there this year sent me pictures of his group. They were delayed from arrival for two days because of weather while I was already there skiing deep Japow. On the morning of my last day they arrived on the ferry, Toshiya picked them up and personally guided the group of eight on the ridge adjacent to the one the rest of us were skiing. They went from being annoyed and frustrated to ecstatic very quickly. We skied the line on the left edge of this first image. The last photo is me (photo by Yusuke Kunimi). An average day is on Rishiri is over 5000 vertical feet of ridge to valley non-stop runs.

Click image for larger version  Name:	sami_rishiri_east_skinning.jpg Views:	0 Size:	636.6 KB ID:	104293
      Click image for larger version  Name:	87463063_10158172224752716_9176378665070493696_o.jpg Views:	0 Size:	200.6 KB ID:	104294Click image for larger version  Name:	sami_rishiri_east_1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	20.0 KB ID:	104295
      Click image for larger version  Name:	fullsizeoutput_ed0.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	51.7 KB ID:	104296

Gloat stoke but what else do we have right now? ;-)
      Last edited by cesare; 16 October 2020, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Awesome! Rishiri is a dream trip for me. I did a road trip around Hokkaido a couple summers ago and had to choose between Rishiri and Shiretoko due to time constraints. I went to Shiretoko, but have wanted to go back for Rishiri ever since. That will be on my next trip, hopefully in the winter.

Comment

Did you see any brown bears in Shiretoko?

Comment

I didn't see any bears, but got held up by a ranger who said a bear was seen on the path ahead of us. Shiretoko was beautiful though. I imagine it would be a great place to ski cross country in the winter.

Comment

Originally posted by cesare View Post
              The last photo is me (photo by Yusuke Kunimi).
              Itchy ban!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cesare View Post
                Gloat stoke but what else do we have right now? ;-)
                I'm going through my collection powderwhore movies every day, watching them and building the psych. I've had health issues for the last 2 years, and they seem to be finally clearing up, so maybe I'll get back to my usual normal ski season routine this year. That would be a win for me in spite of the Covid thing effecting everyone.

Comment

I get you. I've been on the edge healthwise for quite a while now. Right at this moment it's mostly chronic back pain limiting me. Also some stubborn skin cancer on my hands. Hopefully the round of treatment I just concluded will have knocked it out. We'll see. But pain continues come and go. Sometimes it comes on more and it never goes completely away. Makes it hard to stay in condition. Winter tends to be better than summer and skiing doesn't hurt like running can. But when it's bad, it's bad and I wonder if I am declining faster than I can accept. Then I rally and everything seems ok... until it hits again. I try to stay positive but it is frustrating right now. I'm flat on the floor too much of the time. When I start skiing things always improve.

Comment

I accepted the decline in my cardio performance in my mid 50's. Back then, I was teaching a friend who was 30 years old to tele, and as he got better, the gap between us narrowed primarily due to my lack of fitness. For a few summers I rode the stationary bike, and one summer I tried running, but I hated both of them.

Still, I'm happy that my muscles and joints are still good, so I can still ski. I tour alone mostly because I'm slow going uphill. If I try to go too fast, then I'm cooked for the downhill, so I don't ski with my younger friends anymore. That's not completely by choice because 2 out of the 3 of them have died in the mountains. It's not so hard for me to take it easy as it is for young people who understandably want to charge up the hills, bagging peaks and skiing gnarly lines. I suppose there are people out there who would be a good match for me to tour with, but I also feel the weight of making avy decisions that risk other people's lives, so I am ok to ski solo and not have that burden.

I recognize the fitness level that skiing in a group on Rishiri would require, and I think I would be too slow and too out of shape for that objective. 15 years ago I could have done it and enjoyed it, but Rishiri would just be a sufferfest for me now. One thing I've learned is that you can't burn all your energy climbing upward, because even though downward is easier, it still required you have some gas in the tank... Touring with my younger friends in the past has taught me that.

I walk a little over 2 miles every day, uphill going out, then back home downhill. It helps just to keep the blood moving and my joints loose. I feel lucky when I see how physically fecked up other people my age are, while I can still ski pretty well. I don't let it bother me that I'm no longer "killing it", because when you stop trying to kill it, you notice how beautiful it is to be reasonably healthy and out in the backcountry poking around...
                    Last edited by tele.skier; 18 October 2020, 10:10 AM.

Comment

• I don't let it bother me that I'm no longer "killing it", because when you stop trying to kill it, you notice how beautiful it is to be reasonably healthy and out in the backcountry poking around...
                      So True. A quiet day in the woods on skis, is better than, well just about anything else.. Click image for larger version

Name:	Tele turn 1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	104339

Comment

• Originally posted by cesare View Post
                        When I start skiing things always improve.
                        Life mantra.

Miss you, brother.

Comment

• Originally posted by tele.skier View Post
                          I
                          l. It helps just to keep the blood moving and my joints loose. I feel lucky when I see how physically fecked up other people my age are, while I can still ski pretty well. I don't let it bother me that I'm no longer "killing it", because when you stop trying to kill it, you notice how beautiful it is to be reasonably healthy and out in the backcountry poking around...
                          Love it........ I hit a brick wall at 57 exactly, but still chased hard anyway til 60.....then....I'm doing what your doing.

Comment

• I forgot to mention ever...,,,got bladder cancer nearly 7 years ago. I saw red in my urine while skiing in Iceland. After 2 surgeries upon return and then 8 rounds of chemo, I've had no reoccurrence in 6yrs and my bladder is fine! Don't think I ever mentioned that issue on this forum. Kept it close to home. But since we are talking old guy ailments! It was wild winter. No need for all the details, I drove back and forth solo to Anchorage every Friday/Sat 600RT for my chemo treatment in Dec/Jan/ more appts.etc... .... Wild times. Just really thankful to be skiing. (PS that was the winter that Powder showed up. I was thrashed, but broke the skin track fro them.)

Comment

• You mentioned something about it to me backchannel, Matt. Didn't know what it was until now. Glad you are still with us.

Comment

• I guess the topic is morphing into older folks and skiing. But yeah, as well as all the other things that can end skiing, getting Covid and lung disease would certainly have a effect. I personally have had two bouts of serious Cancer, life altering stuff but like one of my Docs say "something is going to get you" as you age. WTBS, saw my surgeon yesterday and he scoped my throat and sinus and gave me a thumbs up for another year. Cancer is just one of many things that can end it for us, but being smart enough to follow up on physical changes is the key for survival and moving forward.

Anyway, kinda sadly for us is that our ski friends, of course older have either died, or aged out so we are down to pretty much zero for touring partners. Of course we are picky too and have had some bad experiences with skiers who we have picked up at the TH's.

Bottomline, to keep from "aging out" there is a need to be in top shape or you won't stay up or you will get hurt. Getting in to or maintaining top shapes requires more work, maybe double the work compared to younger. The older needs even more work and the work needs to be well thought out, not only "work" but diet too.

"Just say no to groomed snow"

Comment

Working...
                                X