• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by petey View Post
    Karma police made an arrest eh.
    RBG argued her first successful case before God

Comment

Quiver Queen wrote,
      I've had conversations with many people who are considering BC only recreation this winter,
      My friend , a local ER Physician, has cancelled his season pass, and that for his wife. They could apply for a full refund at our local ski resort, before Oct 20th.
      I have already bought mine, not sure what to do. I am very worried about crowded lift lines, and as my MD friend said, "Snotty chair lifts" . I mean, who doesn't have a runny nose, skiing, that they wipe on the chairlift..?

Our local ski area will have no reservation system, with lots of Out-of-State skiers, and no capacity restrictions. If someone is COVID positive, forget about contact tracing. Out of State visitors from other New England States are supposed to quarantine for 2 weeks , coming to Vermont. But there is no enforcement of that State rule, either.
      So a Free-for-all s**t show.
      Last edited by chamonix; 7 October 2020, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chamonix View Post
        I am very worried about crowded left lines, and as my MD friend said, "Snotty chair lifts"
        I don't worry quite as much about contagion in these situations, but I worry about the lift lines being REALLY LONG. And the area surrounding the base of the chair is designed for the maze to have a certain footprint, but when it stretches beyond, it'll become a free-for-all, and the whole system will break down. Controlling a situation like this is a lot to ask of a stoner liftie making $12/hr.

Being on a skintrack somewhere sure sounds a lot less stressful.

Comment

Might be bad at the resorts, but I’m keeping my pass and my options open.

We are pretty fortunate that they logged an area just down the road from my house that has pretty decent skiing with not much risk or commitment.

Comment

I pulled the trigger on a season pass for Wolf Creek, but really hesitated over the "no refunds" clause. If they open on November 20, and then have to close for the season during a sky-rocketing number of Covid cases in January (or even earlier) then you're just out of luck.

Comment

First year in a very long time I’ve skipped buying a pass. I really only ski resorts these days for some early season conditioning, lift access to the back country or days I just feel it’s to unsafe to ski outside the resort. I have no regrets at this point, see if I feel different at the end of the season but I doubt it, I’ll get back on board next season.

Comment

Originally posted by tahoebc View Post
                First year in a very long time I’ve skipped buying a pass. I really only ski resorts these days for some early season conditioning, lift access to the back country or days I just feel it’s to unsafe to ski outside the resort. I have no regrets at this point, see if I feel different at the end of the season but I doubt it, I’ll get back on board next season.
                Thinking along the same line and we bought passes but have the option to refund or credit toward next season. I think Rose will have a lot of skiers this year as they are sold out of season passes. So that with the lift format will create long lines and frustrated skiers. Rose basically has two six pack chair lifts and the format will be that you can only load the chairs with skiers that came together or possibly friends. So a single skier needs to ride chair by themselves. We are traditionally AM skiers and that's when it is most busy. Now, we can just go up and ski late in the day and we have some friends that do that like get up there at 2:00 and ski till closing. Probably not very busy then, but just not our thing skiing well beat snow.

So, just might forgo resort and tour but wait till season starts and see how who it is actually working at the resort. Long range snow forecast doesn't look great either. Boy, Mexico looks intriguing as we are getting into Winging but have a dog............
                "Just say no to groomed snow"

Comment

I bought Epic Pass but thinking like you Quad. We were just down in your old stomping grounds visiting our daughter who is in grad school at UCI. Surfed Huntington and Dana Pt. With Covid ski pass warm waters down south seem more inviting than usual. If I didn’t work I think we’d hit up Mexico for a month or two for winter winging.

Comment

I think part of my inclination to buy a season pass in spite of the Covid19 situation was that I hate paying for a daily pass. There's never been a year of skiing where buying daily passes would have worked out cheaper than buying a season pass, so I still consider the season pass a way to save money. This year I got the senior discount as well, so the price for the season pass dropped even more for me.

My friend, who I worked with for the last 15 years, died suddenly 2 seasons ago so I mentor his 18 year old son, which includes skiing. His first season I paid for his daily tickets and rentals... Wow, it was expensive. Last season I made his mom buy him a season pass (student) for his birthday and I put together 2 resort rigs for him and 1 BC rig, so I didn't have to spend money to go skiing except paying for gasoline to drive 30 minutes into the mountains, and feeding the kid who doesn't yet understand the concept of "brown bagging" food to the slopes to save money.

One day I rented gear for the kid, a parent with 3 kids bought 4 rentals and 4 daily tickets while I was getting my friend's kid outfitted. I think it came to over $500. which is a fortune IMO for a family to ski for the day... Skiing is way too expensive without a season's pass and you're own gear.

I ski by myself a lot too which allows me to come and go on my own schedule, so going up to ski for 2 hours at 2PM is just the cost of gas money. Buying a half day pass is probably the least economical way to ski. I probably wouldn't ski the lifts at all if I had to buy daily tickets... I'd ski tour and Cross country ski the trails instead.

I can't imagine what the $hitshow will be like at the resorts if the high speed quads are loading 1 person at a time... My guess is that there will be a mass exodus of newbies with no BC experience just following skin tracks out into the BC. I hope I don't have to shovel out any burried people this year...
                    Last edited by tele.skier; 14 October 2020, 03:23 PM.
                    the fall line is your friend.... resistance is futile

Comment

My spouse asked me what I want for my birthday and I am wavering between a season pass and a week of guided backcountry skiing on Rishiri Island [shhhhhhh]...the most amazing place on the planet...[/shhhhhhh]. There will be NO international visitors this season so it will be uncrowded everywhere. Niseko United senior pass is 100,000 yen or $940. Kiroro senior pass is 43,000 yen or about $400. A week at Rishiri will be at least $1500, which is a great value. The adjacent backcountry in Kiroro is amazing but heavily restricted/regulated. Backcountry in Niseko is also amazing and is wide open and unregulated. Everything in Niseko is much bigger than Kiroro. Mount Yotei, right in your face in the center of the region, is a 5,000 vertical foot descent. Niseko gets a lot of snow but Kiroro gets even more. I know a few people in Kiroro but all of them are guides who only ski for $$$. They are good friends but business is business. I know more people in Niseko and will have a much better chance of finding backcountry partners there but the mountain pass will cost more than twice as much so I'm on the fence. I suppose I could get the Kiroro pass and still go to Niseko to ski backcountry. Maybe I can even convince my wife that a Kiroro pass AND a Rishiri trip is affordable... HA! fat chance chez.

Teine and Kokusai are not showing season pass information on their web sites at this time. They are smaller mountains more local to me but with no restrictions on backcountry access and they still get a ton of snow.
                      Last edited by cesare; 14 October 2020, 06:51 PM.

Comment

cesare,
                        Can you adopt me, so I can fly to Japan? All these difficult choices you have this winter. I will ski with you..

Comment

Unfortunately, Cham, that wouldn't work. You have to already live here to get a pink (pink is the new green) card.

Comment

Originally posted by SPQR View Post
                            I bought Epic Pass but thinking like you Quad. We were just down in your old stomping grounds visiting our daughter who is in grad school at UCI. Surfed Huntington and Dana Pt. With Covid ski pass warm waters down south seem more inviting than usual. If I didn’t work I think we’d hit up Mexico for a month or two for winter winging.
                            Yep, we lived right up the coast right next to Seal Beach. My mother would drop us off at Huntington Beach just North of the pier when I was a kid and pick me up later in the day and we surfed for hours. We met older guys, surfers, that would take us kids all over the So Cal surf spots to surf and to skin dive too. Long Beach in the 60's a great place to be a kid.............I have many memories and stories.
                            "Just say no to groomed snow"

Comment

cesare, based on what you have told me, go with Rishiri Island.

Comment

Thanks Danno, that's what I've decided. No season pass. But I do have a car I can sleep in now so more adventures further afield with new partners to come.

Comment

Working...
                                X