X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Nobody, Vietnam? Where about?

Comment

Near DaNang. I burned the shi*ters.
      Once I made Farmer's Tan E-4, I brought in the DaNang Bay tides. Twice a day.

Click image for larger version  Name:	BRINGING IN THE TIDE.jpg Views:	0 Size:	380.2 KB ID:	103799
      [ Freedom Hill in the background ]
      Last edited by Nobody; 19 September 2020, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chamonix View Post
        The ski resorts like this.
        Exactly.

Comment

And whatever plans get made could change. In montana, one of the gubernatorial candidates is saying he will lift the current governors mask order if elected. That means if a ski area requires masks, they won't have a legal means to back up that requirement. Could get even weirder!

Comment

I only ski weekdays, and in past years I haven't even had to wait in line at the place I ski (Kirkwood). But I have a worry that this may now change. Where I live, there seem to be twice as many people surfing every day, and I attribute it to people 'working from home' and having more flexible schedules. I've been wondering if the same might be true of skiing this year, with weekdays being crowded and reservations filling up. Kirkwood is close enough to the Bay area, and if all the people 'working at home' suddenly decide to ski ....

Comment

Originally posted by bahboric View Post
              I only ski weekdays, and in past years I haven't even had to wait in line at the place I ski (Kirkwood). But I have a worry that this may now change. Where I live, there seem to be twice as many people surfing every day, and I attribute it to people 'working from home' and having more flexible schedules. I've been wondering if the same might be true of skiing this year, with weekdays being crowded and reservations filling up. Kirkwood is close enough to the Bay area, and if all the people 'working at home' suddenly decide to ski ....
              Wow, I never considered that, but now that you mention it. I know a lot of people who are working from home because of the Covid19 situation. If they don't need to take conference calls or be at their desk to consult a client on a given day, there isn't anything else stopping them from midweek skiing either. Suddenly, I'm not as optimistic about the quality of midweek skiing...
              the fall line is your friend.... resistance is futile

Comment

To briefly elaborate, on weekdays I now meet people who've driven 75+ miles to surf; weekdays are now like weekends. Lots of people I know have driven to the beach as usual on weekdays, but didn't even bother getting in the water because of the crowds. Nothing to do but wait, see, and hope for the best.

Comment

Nobody - were you at Seabee Base or Marine Amtrak Battalion?

Comment

I spent large chunks of my career working remotely. I did have a lot of flexibility to do a ton of running. I didn't ski as much on weekdays as I probably could have but I did get out sometimes. I had clients and team members all around the globe so I needed to be available and if I was backcountry skiing, combined with the drive to and from the mountains, I felt like I was away from the computer too long. And skiing is so precious to me I never liked the idea that work could interrupt me when I was skiing. If I was working, I was all in on that. I didn't like it when work made it difficult to be all in on skiing.

Comment

Nobody - on the right, taking a break while running a patrol southwest of DaNang right after Tet.
                      As far as Covid goes, bought my usually Epic Pass, I'm a Kirkwood weekday skier. With Covid all the gear stuff I normally fret about is out the window, just want to ski. Just hit 71, still trying to do the tele dance.
                      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
                      Last edited by SPQR; 20 September 2020, 05:14 PM.

Comment

I renewed my season pass last spring, so I'm good. Also have night skiing so that will increase options if they need to tighten things up. Meanwhile, cycling like crazy for a crazy ski season. Not obsessed or concerned about it til it actually snows.... which could be two months away. I like my position in the ski market..

Comment

Originally posted by SPQR View Post
                          Nobody - were you at Seabee Base or Marine Amtrak Battalion?
                          [That pic is from Red Beach local recreation]

Neither....Maintenance Battalion 1st FSR/FLC, 1st MarDiv ShopStores , 06/69 - 05/70
                          I was is in Dogtown near the DaNang airstrip until the Sea Bees finished our hutches in the FLC compound. It was a bit quiter up there.
                          Shipping and Receiving from radio to tank parts. And shotgun on convoys.

{The worst day of my USMC life: Had you heard of the inside job fragging of the EM Club? Four crazy Black Power Marines in Feb '70. One killed, 62 wounded. Although the Naval Investigative Service (NIS) eventually arrested four enlisted Marines in the Maintenance Battalion fragging, Marine courts-martial acquitted all four defendants due to mental health. BS!}
                          Last edited by Nobody; 21 September 2020, 04:52 PM.

Comment

I was there 68 - 69, MOS 0311. Round one L 3/27, round two M 3/1.

Comment

@ Nobody - Remember this?
                              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
                              Last edited by SPQR; 21 September 2020, 06:53 PM.

Comment

@ Nobody - After the Tet Offensive and the mini Tet in May I was running a patrol south of Da Nang from the Tu Cau Bridge to Phu Loc 6. Fortunately it was a day patrol, about 7 hours as (I was really being careful as it was a notorious place to get ambushed.) I get back to the our perimeter at Tu Cau Bridge and someone tells me I have to report to the CP group. I was totally pissed, they were going to give me a night patrol too, or so I thought. I get into the CP hooch with the platoon commander and platoon sgt. and they have maps out looking at the night patrol routes handed down by Battalion. I was so pissed, been out all day on a stressful patrol and now a night patrol. Then the Lt. and Sgt. looked at me and started laughing and said our company received one meritorious in country R & R (it wouldn't count against my regular R & R) and asked if I wanted to take a few days off and go to China Beach. They didn't have to ask twice. The Lt. and his wife was visiting me right before the pandemic and I related the story to him, he thought and he and the platoon sgt. would have a little fun at my expense before they told me the good news.
                                Last edited by SPQR; 21 September 2020, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X