The Covidemic plague on skiing makes me sick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Covidemic plague on skiing makes me sick

Based on reflex, not logic, I pulled the trigger on an Ikon Pass for this year. Notices like the following make me regret that decision. I'll figure out a way to deal, just as I did when they limited access to pools but the current status does not suggest this is a temporary condition and THAT does not bode well for the future of skiing, in -OR- out-of-bounds.

Originally posted by Rusty Gregory, Alterra CEO
    The health and well-being of Alterra Mountain Company guests, employees, and local communities has and will always be our company’s highest priority. Since last winter’s resort closures, our teams have been working to develop operating plans and protocols designed to mitigate the spread of COVID-19. We are intently focused on complying with local, county, and state regulations and offering the best guest experience possible for the 20/21 season. The effectiveness of these plans will rely on your cooperation with our enforcement of face coverings, social distancing and crowd management on and off the mountain.

This effort starts with controlling resort visitation levels to avoid overcrowding. We are prioritizing access for season pass holders and will tightly regulate the number of daily lift tickets that will be available by advance purchase only. To this end, walk-up window sales will be eliminated, and the sale of most undated lift ticket products will be discontinued until further notice.

The pandemic has disrupted our lives in so many unpredictable ways. Medical professionals and scientists tell us that this constantly changing dynamic will likely continue until effective vaccines and therapeutics are developed and become available to the general public. Alterra Mountain Company and our destinations are committed to staying on top of the inevitable changes to come as best practices and health regulations throughout the two countries, six states, three Canadian provinces and 15 mountain communities in which we operate rapidly evolve. Our teams will communicate these changes to you as soon as possible so we can all adjust and plan accordingly.

Like you, I’m excited to get back to winter and the skiing and riding to come. These unprecedented times will continue to challenge us and will require tolerance and effort by all of us to help keep each other healthy and our destinations open for your enjoyment.

I look forward to seeing you on the mountain.

Rusty Gregory
    Chief Executive Officer
    Alterra Mountain Company
    What are your thoughts?

PS: Ikon Reservation ClusterFAQ
    Last edited by Dostie; 14 September 2020, 06:47 PM.

ain't no turn like tele!

I agree ! While people are going on about binding spring tension, or how many spacers you need with the Lynx binding, Acres and acres of forests are being consumed by massive, unprecedented fires out West, families are losing their homes and lives.

Really dangerous air quality is blanketing much of the West coast, and Oregon. What affect will this have on the coming snow pack, and winter?
    And then as Dostie mentioned, the whole ski industry is about to be screwed up by the COVID pandemic ( I won't express my opinions on how this pandemic was mis-managed in the US. 200,000 dead. Too political).
    So where are we now? If the ski industry is only going to allow Season Pass holders to ski their resorts, what will that do to the Ski Industry? Where will families , or individuals, starting to ski go?
    And will we all be riding chairlifts as solo passengers, in a six-pack? How realistic is it for ski areas to maintain a solvent business, when uphill capacity is cut by 60% or more?
    Not to mention the mind numbing lines, with everyone happily (or not) spaced out 6 feet apart, wearing masks in these lines for every chair.
    I'll be in the backcountry, as soon as we have the snow pack. Though I did buy a season pass for Jay Peak already

Well, my rant is over...for now.
    Last edited by chamonix; 14 September 2020, 07:19 PM.

Comment

I'm just getting my popcorn ready, waiting for the lawyers to get involved.

Jackson Hole announced that they were suspending season pass sales for now, and that anyone who'd already bought one was locked in, not subject to any sort of restrictions. My read is that they realized if capacity limits were imposed, they would have to turn away a lot of folks who'd bought "Unlimited" season passes, advertised as having "Full Access, "No Blackouts," etc. Every resort had their own language in the season pass Terms & Conditions, some that will probably protect the resort better than others. I'm not a lawyer (where's @Baaahb?), but I would think that if the product delivered is fundamentally different from what was advertised, there'd still be decent grounds for a class action suit.

Some resorts haven't put season passes on sale yet. They smartly wanted to see what the season was going to look like before making any promises. My resort, of course, splashed UNLIMITED and NO BLACKOUTS all over the advertising materials when we bought our passes back in May. A HUGE chunk of their revenue comes from day tickets. Will they ace out passholders in favor of day ticket buyers, to protect their revenue stream? I sure wouldn't want to have to figure out the logistics of that decision.

Comment

My oldest friend, who got me on my first pair of skis because he alerted me to a pair of wood skis his neighbors were throwing away, was going to visit me to ski this season. That plan is out the window because of the covid19 restrictions here. When I told him that the restrictions might shut him out of a daily ticket anyway, he pulled the plug on his plan to finally come out and visit. Oh well, maybe next year...

I bought an LTD season pass this year which blocks me from skiing alpental on the weekends, when it's a $hitshow anyway so no real loss there. I usually go to my secret stashes on the weekends anyway. With my senior discount, my pass was $307. so I bought it figuring if my health is good this winter, I'll ski more often. The price was right and I had the money, so I bought it. I knew there might be some covid19 restrictions where the resort changes their rules after the passes are bought and paid for but I'm sure I'll get my money's worth at that price.

The letter from Rusty of course makes me want to puke,... but puke in a carefully worded "woke" kind of way... They have to make a statement because the standard common sense rules we all sign off to are out the window with this new situation. It's a strictly dictated protocol or nothing, so this is the new normal for this year, and we're all probably going to be inconvenienced this season at some point. Lets just hope we all get some good days in and next year this $hit is done with and gone....

the fall line is your friend.... resistance is futile

Comment

Well, I'm gonna pour my glass to the 3/4 mark....

Skiing may be like biking.... one of the few things people can actually do and so inventory will be sold out in November/December. We'll probably see a huge increase in ski sales that are not lift dependent - i.e. XC, BC.... tele. And it's likely production will have been reduced due to covid, so slim pickings if you wait.

The lift served restrictions I've seen in these parts seem pretty reasonable. Pack a chair with your party (friends and family) but strangers sit on the outside of a quad - 2per. Singles only on smaller chairs. Will this create massive lift lines? I doubt it. Longer lines on powder days. I'm afraid to type this on the internet, but it is rare that we wait in any substantial lines, so to have to wait a bit longer for a season will be tolerable. And I'd rather be outside standing on snow waiting to ski than in my house typing on my computer.

As for the fires....I'm speechless. Scary stuff. We have the smoke here to a danger rating of 10+ (off the scale). It's bad. Kids aren't allowed outside. Sports are cancelled - the good news is we have practiced this with Covid and we just shrug and accept it. I feel terrible for those who have lost so much. It has become somewhat of a reality out here. Biggest fire in BC is within sight of my house.... but it is blowing the other way and not threatening many dwellings so you don't hear about it (actually - as of this weekend it is under control). But it has happened that the fire is downwind of us and we pack up our stuff in case we have to evacuate.

Here's hoping we'll have many seasons of skiing ahead - once they lick this Covid thing.

Comment

It's an insane time; there's no question. And I'll get political -- we have the greatest jackass in the White House, devoid of meaningful leadership. Nay, devoid of leadership. Worse than that, really.

It's poring through the minutia of fun sh't that lets my mind take a break. So yeah, I'm going to fuss over the best ways to improve bindings because the alternative is lurking and luring my mind constantly to the stories of sh't and sh'ttier daily life happenings. As for skiing and the pandemic, it sounds like it's going to be brutal at the bigger or popular ski resorts. Perhaps even the less popular ones. My kids are getting hosed with some sh't virtual schooling and the west is on fire. Whether our resort runs or not is all part of this sh't year. Backcountry skiing will still be viable though. So get your set-ups and your kid's (or kids') set ups and your partner's (or partners' - lucky bastard) set ups dialed in now.

Speaking of minutia and shutting one's eye, we've been honing our salmon and crab game and found ocean gold at the end of this rainbow; it's all about finding the right activity of the lure and the tension of the tides. . .

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-7086.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	103665

Name:	IMG-7073.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	822.9 KB
ID:	103666

Name:	IMG-7173.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	103664

Comment

Not that it needs the help, but the on-piste fitness-skinning sub-genre is set to blow up even more bigly this season. The contagion risk areas are the lodges & gondolas, and to a lesser degree, lift lines & lift chairs. Those are the areas that any government-imposed capacity numbers should apply to. The trails, it seems, aren't really a hazard. So a resort could, in theory, safely go beyond its capacity limit by offering an enhanced Uphill Access program.

Previously, resorts have been all over the map with Uphill Access. Our mountain has allowed it 5-8am and 5-8pm, on one designated (milquetoast) route. I've been working with the GM to try to expand this, as a way for the resort to offer more "product" to its customers. The vision is to offer a route during daytime hours, and to expand the number of off-hours routes (to make freezing your ass off more enticing). This opens up lesson and rental opportunities for the resort, and softens the blow to those aced out on powder days; they can still make safe, in-bounds powder turns, just of the earned variety.

Has anyone else heard of resorts integrating Uphill Access into their limited-capacity plans for this year?

Comment

We don't need no stinking lifts!

Expect the trail heads for touring to be maxed out.

The downhill areas will have to shut down if the predicted winter surge of infections occurs.

Comment

None of you want to hear this but... the only change at Niseko United for the 2020-21 season is that a beacon and a helmet are now required to ski the sidecountry through a gate. There are no restrictions on tickets and Niseko has implemented a more flexible cancellation policy to protect visitors who make reservations that they might not be able to keep due to changes in the coronavirus situation. The thing you really don't want to hear is that all visiting travel through or from the USA remains banned. They just lifted the ban on legal residents returning from the US on September 1. If I go to visit my dad, I will have to have a documented negative PCR test within 4 days of departure from the US and another negative test upon arrival in Japan, then a 14 day quarantine so I would have no way of getting to Hokkaido for two weeks. But things are easier here because the virus is--fingers crossed--under relative control here. With a population of 130 million in a smaller land area than California, Japan has had only 1,442 deaths to date. Since the government response has been tepid at best, the primary reason for the lower case and death rates is that everybody wears a mask in public.

Comment

I don't know how we can be expected to discuss this topic without getting "political". The US has done terribly against this virus compared to the rest of the industrialized world and the reason for that is obvious. The Toddler-in-Chief was spewing about "Media Hype" and "hoaxes" while this thing gained a foothold here and to this day continues to downplay it. Now it's going to cost us a good portion of our ski season - which is hardly the end of the world but still sucks. And for those of us who are part of the skiing cottage industry, it will have real-world negative effects that will be calculable in dollars and cents. While I've acknowledged this country's warts in the past, I've never been ashamed to be an American. Until now. We're pariahs. And what's even more distressing is that this clown could still draw to an inside straight, thread the electoral college needle, and subject us and the rest of the world to four more years of this lunacy. About 40% of the electorate is still in this jackass's thrall. Being Anti-Trump is so 2019. Now I'm actively going after his supporters. I want them all to pay a price. I think that will be necessary in order to turn the page. They need to come clean and publically repent.

Comment

Originally posted by bastardsonoffhw View Post
                      Now I'm actively going after his supporters. I want them all to pay a price. I think that will be necessary in order to turn the page. They need to come clean and publically repent.
                      But you're not doing that face to face are you? Dude, I wished I lived nearby you, so you could "go after" me.. cause we both know you are completely full of $hit.

Comment

Of course I'm doing it face to face. To be honest, because I read books and junk, and always have, there isn't much Trump Trash in my immediate social orbit. But I actively insult one that trys to hang in the periphery. In fact, he showed up at a party I was having this weekend and I told him to leave. I didn't realize you were Trump Trash. That's ****ing gross. At this point, it's clear you're down with the racism and misogyny; which aspect is your favorite? Or do you just like the anti-educated angle because ......
                        Last edited by bastardsonoffhw; 15 September 2020, 10:06 AM.

Comment

This is getting fun kinda like boot/binding wars. So, what is important here and IMO, first and foremost is to protect yourself and your family from getting sick. I have a few friends and acquaintances who caught Covid, non died but all have side effects that are putting a effect on their lives, maybe the rest of their lives. I personally think there is going to be a spike this Fall and Winter and what new rules and guidelines that are proposed now for skiing will most likely change. Bottomline this in the big world of problems is a nothing burger, it is simply recreation and if you want to recreate, find something else to do that is solitary. As far as a spike, Trump just came to Nevada for a rally, both North and South and there was 10,000 attending, no masks, no distance yelling and screaming. He broke the rules our state has for gatherings got on his plane and left to do the same thing in Arizona. So, a spike is coming for a number of reasons, make good decisions and move forward. BTW, Vote...............Politically it is the only thing you can do......
                          "Just say no to groomed snow"

Comment

racism,... well you got me with the generic accusation before you even know any thing.. I'm probably a Russian operative too... And that's how it goes online.

Why not pick a policy or some topic and discuss intelligently why it's morally wrong or misguided? You've been among the tele tribe online anonymously for decades because you're a coward. Have you ever met anyone from here or TTips? Have you ever traded gear with anyone here where they got to know your name and address?

Of course not, because "this" is your thing, being abusive on the internet, because in real life you're a pussy... right?

Feel free to respond in your standard bloviated manner. You're safely 3000 miles away in your little hideaway typing your ad hominem comments. God knows you'll never talk about policies, and why you disagree with them. That would mean you have to defend some opinion of your own rather than just call other people names.

So far the count is:
                            Trump trash
                            anti-educated
                            racist
                            misogyny

and you still haven't made an argument...

Comment

Originally posted by Quadzilla View Post
                              This is getting fun kinda like boot/binding wars. So, what is important here and IMO, first and foremost is to protect yourself and your family from getting sick. I have a few friends and acquaintances who caught Covid, non died but all have side effects that are putting a effect on their lives, maybe the rest of their lives. I personally think there is going to be a spike this Fall and Winter and what new rules and guidelines that are proposed now for skiing will most likely change. Bottomline this in the big world of problems is a nothing burger, it is simply recreation and if you want to recreate, find something else to do that is solitary. As far as a spike, Trump just came to Nevada for a rally, both North and South and there was 10,000 attending, no masks, no distance yelling and screaming. He broke the rules our state has for gatherings got on his plane and left to do the same thing in Arizona. So, a spike is coming for a number of reasons, make good decisions and move forward. BTW, Vote...............Politically it is the only thing you can do......
                              At least his supporters don't burn down buildings, commit violent assault, and loot property. You have to wonder why that isn't a concern of yours but a rally you did not attend is your concern.

After 9/11, I bought a few NYPD and NYFD baseball caps to show my solidarity with our police and firefighters. If I wear the NYPD cap in seattle, there's a good chance I will be physically assaulted... What do you think about that? and about democratically run states allowing public violence and anarchy. Should I just not wear my NYPD hat like a sheeple?

How anyone could vote for democrats with the stupidity of the latest american trend of the PC culture is beyond me. BLM was started because of the death of Michael Brown... Read the wikipedia about the incident. It's not at all like the case of George Floyd which was a psychopathic policeman murdering someone. The whole BLM thing is the "race card" on steroids. Just look at willie played it on me in the last post... expectedly.

It's interesting what different people focus on, and consider as the situation that controls their vote... I don't disparage people who have different opinions from me, I just like to see their rationale and present my own. I do it that way because I don't believe in being verbally abusive on the internet, as I've said because that kind of talk is unassailable because it defends no ground of it's own. It's a weak strategy of a weak argument.
                              Last edited by tele.skier; 15 September 2020, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X