No announcement yet.

Lynx '21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's good news, telenerd. And interesting theory; I too was suspicious of the using only one power spacer. I'm still using two wave washers per binding (that have probably mostly flattened out). A few days ago, I encountered the flaccid claw that wouldn't grab. I think it had mostly iced up. I moved it back and forth a few times and that solved it.

Today, I played with the slic pin options and moved it from the front to the middle. Couldn't tell any difference whatsoever. I was just curious. I've been using Lynx inbounds in all conditions -- icy crust, small drops and jumps, and bumps --- they're holding up incredibly well and so fun to ski.

Comment

• Good point Ceaser. I think that explains why my old springs where different lengths cause I was using 1 stock spacer last season. When removing the flex plates I could clearly see the claw was bowed to side with spacer because more tension on that side.

On another note, I don’t mind buying new springs or even flex plates as things wear out. Kinda like changing oil. The replacement parts are cheap from 22 designs and old parts could be used for spares on remote trips.

That’s what I like about the Lynx it comes apart super easy for maintenance and honestly I have even taken it apart on the trail to clear ice last Spring without any hesitation.

Comment

• Dschance I notice a huge difference when moving the slic pin. But that’s just me. I was on position 2 last Spring. Went with position 1 and feels good after the long springs settled. Don’t plan on bumping it up until the bigger lines are open. Boulders the size of tractor trailers still sticking up out of the snow in some spots. La Niña not been good here in my nick of the woods.

Comment

• Mounted the cheap V2 Lynx I found at REI on a pair of Tua Tsunamis. Have three days skiing man made groomers and I have to say these ski firm snow very well. Been enjoying the power to the edge carving turns as hard as I can. Bouncing through moguls the pins held rock solid. On day two I caught an inside edge while carving at speed. Going down on my hip and blowing out of both bindings. I didn't feel the release and was surprised they came off. Not wanting to believe I really did that I spent the rest of my time trying to make the binding prerelease. Couldn't do it.

Comment

• Update on the purple springs: they are perfect! They ski great and no problems (yet, I suppose) with flaccid claw syndrome.

Also, I thought of a solution to the flex plate cracking issue. After studying the tabs on the plates and the ski/tour mechanism for the claw, I realized that 1) the tabs cracking occurs when switching modes to or from tour mode - there is a downward and forward (toward the toe pins) force applied to the tab when switching, and 2) the right angle (and sometimes protruding) edge of the main plate at the tabs allows a lot of the mode switching force to go to the bottom half of the tab, causing it to split off.
            Since the replacement plates were the same design as the originals that cracked after the first or second time I used them, I decided to make a modification based on the observations above to see if I could keep them from cracking.
            Here’s the mod: file a bit of material off of the main plate under the part of the tabs that contact the plastic mode switch piece. The photos show an unmodified plate next to the modified one. Click image for larger version

Name:	4B8E5E70-72D6-4E02-8B72-D6B1C53F3632.jpeg
Views:	179
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	106228 Click image for larger version

Name:	E2FB4818-DC70-4621-8703-DCA81739A1E6.jpeg
Views:	171
Size:	338.0 KB
ID:	106229 Click image for larger version

Name:	AED5CFD5-4B7F-4FE2-AECC-783C75A8A5D3.jpeg
Views:	176
Size:	371.5 KB
ID:	106230
            I’ve been on several tours (and a resort day) since the modification and I’ve had no cracking. I can’t rule out the effect of the softer purple springs (which would lessen the mode switching force), but I think this simple mod probably made a difference.

Comment

• We had wet, heavy snowfalling on a deep snowpack amid some testy winds (today was about the up). I had the claw grab my butt four times on the skin up. Damn, that's f'cking annoying.

Comment

• Happened to me once today. I think it was boot jack related.

Comment

• Bad news. I have had it in the past. Like two seasons ago I think. But so far not this year with either V1 or V2 and I don't recall it happening last year either. Weather hasn't been cold, but the snow has been fairly dry. Agree it's annoying but not sure why it's not happening now. I guess the worst case scenario is you use the low climbing heel to keep the boot elevated.

I am loving these bindings. I still find the V2 a little more powerful than I'd like. I remember on one deep day last year the tips were diving too much (power of the binding overpowered the ability of the tip to rise in the powder). But when it's not too deep I can get used to them.

If I have one complaint it would be that the claw is detectable underfoot sometimes. Pushing up on the arch of my boot. I think I get used to it but I often find it annoying when I first put them on.

Comment

• Agreed, I too am loving these bindings. But, in certain conditions and terrain, which I personally don't encounter often, snow can pack in under the binding and the claw can engage while in touring mode.

Comment

• I was skinning in light snow on a low angle road. I was skinning in untouched snow on the side, away from all the bootpacking and on my first ascent, about twenty meters from the top, my claw grabbed my duckbutt. Wow, does that sound weird to say. I stepped my other ski across and tapped the lever down, pushed it with a ski pole to release my boot, and then tapped the claw with my boot before stepping back into the binding. It took about three seconds and then another three seconds to get to the transition point. I usually do have a climbing bar up since the grab was more likely to happen in the V1s I had last year. This was the first time it happened on the V2s.

Comment

• To improve claw function (mostly to keep it locked down during climbing mode), I added a stacked or compression spring. So, my set-up now has 22D's coil springs followed by a wave washer and a small compression spring on the top hat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-7472.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	460.3 KB
ID:	106601

Yesterday, we had 35-degree moderate-to-heavy rain up to 2000' (and we start at sea level!), so conditions were total sh't. Great for cardio and fresh air, sticky as f'ck for skiing and making turns. The restraint of the claw in climbing mode seems a little more robust, but hard to say from a single outing. I didn't notice any difference in feel on the down.

My main plates are cracking and splitting in half, so I just ordered a new pair of all plates. This may just become a 1- to 2-year needed maintenance job. Overall, my bindings feel pleasantly soft and smooth, so I'm not sure I want the new plates until the old ones completely disintegrate.

Anyone lubricate plates, springs, or pivot points?

Comment

• One of my main plates was cracking badly (and a flex plate too), so I ordered some new ones. The new plates are longer than the current ones, and I can't recall why 22D made that change? Less cracking, softer flexing, and/or minimize claw grab?

We've had a 2-week warm spell and the rain has turned our snowpack to a wet, sticky, ACL-wrenching cement mess. If I don't use the risers, I get claw grab (unless perhaps I'm not breaking trail, but even then, it can happen). This is a problem I hope 22D fixes. If it were to happen 10% of the time or more, it would totally suck, esp. if I were carrying a heavy, multi-day pack. We don't have long approaches in Juneau, so I just engage the risers to stop it, and while that's a great thigh workout, it's an annoying and stupid one. I'll report back after I've tried the new, longer plates.

Comment

• dschane , which plate version cracked? It sounds worse than just the tabs, can you post pictures? My replacement plates, even after my subtle mod, have had one tab crack off.

I'm not aware of a softer flexing set of plates than the ones that came with my 2021 lynx. There are softer springs (the purple ones), although it doesn't seem like they sell them. They sent mine for free with the replacement plates. I still feel the plates are too stiff for my TX Pros. The boot's metatarsal range of motion blows by before the plates really start to flex. Not a nice sensation. I believe this is more of an issue for small lynx vs large lynx. It kind of makes me wish I had bought the Meidjo instead.

Bummer the rain has wrecked the snow down in Juneau - but maybe you get a reset on avalanche danger if the snowpack got soaked through? I'm in Anchorage, and we had rain in town yesterday and I hope pow in the front range .

Comment

• Originally posted by CMbristlecone View Post
                              dschane , which plate version cracked? It sounds worse than just the tabs, can you post pictures? My replacement plates, even after my subtle mod, have had one tab crack off.

I'm not aware of a softer flexing set of plates than the ones that came with my 2021 lynx. There are softer springs (the purple ones), although it doesn't seem like they sell them. They sent mine for free with the replacement plates. I still feel the plates are too stiff for my TX Pros. The boot's metatarsal range of motion blows by before the plates really start to flex. Not a nice sensation. I believe this is more of an issue for small lynx vs large lynx. It kind of makes me wish I had bought the Meidjo instead.

Bummer the rain has wrecked the snow down in Juneau - but maybe you get a reset on avalanche danger if the snowpack got soaked through? I'm in Anchorage, and we had rain in town yesterday and I hope pow in the front range .
                              It split cleanly along the long seam, about 1/3 of the way down.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-7479.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	538.5 KB
ID:	106966

So, even with the soft springs, it still feels pretty stiff? The small is definitely a different beast than the large.

I wasn't clear. I wonder if the longer flex plates create a softer feel vs the shorter, prior version. Not sure, just curious why they lengthened them. Minimize cracking perhaps.

Comment

Working...
                              X