No announcement yet.

Lynx '21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah Ceaser I gotta call them again. They have already sent me longer springs, plates, cams, shorter cables, had me do measurements, with all the parts it has pretty much rebuilt my v2s. So not sure what is left to do to them.

Comment

• Originally posted by telenerd View Post
      Broke trail all the way before getting in turns. Sad to report the new longer springs did not fix claw grab and had over 15 grabs.
      Whoa, that would be very frustrating. I would reach out to 22D because that level of grab is insane.

Comment

• Today I got my replacement main plates in the mail from 22D. I asked about more flexible plates and they didn’t have an answer, but they did send me softer springs for no charge. They said others have also complained that the small Lynx is quite stiff.

The soft springs are also much shorter, and purple! They said I’d need two spacers right off the bat - I can confirm this after installing them. I may need more spacers in the near future, we shall see. In the carpet test they felt good, albeit with a slightly larger dead spot. We’ll see how they ski.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4293261E-2F39-4D7A-BFAA-95612D47F7BF.jpeg
Views:	225
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	105727

Comment

• Originally posted by CMbristlecone View Post
          Today I got my replacement main plates in the mail from 22D. I asked about more flexible plates and they didn’t have an answer, but they did send me softer springs for no charge. They said others have also complained that the small Lynx is quite stiff.

The soft springs are also much shorter, and purple! They said I’d need two spacers right off the bat - I can confirm this after installing them. I may need more spacers in the near future, we shall see. In the carpet test they felt good, albeit with a slightly larger dead spot. We’ll see how they ski.

Name:	4293261E-2F39-4D7A-BFAA-95612D47F7BF.jpeg
Views:	225
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	105727
          Nice, glad to see 22D continues to tinker.

I've now had several inbound days on Lynx and have no pre-releases. I've skied them about as hard as my legs can, so my confidence in terms of their dependability is high. I've accidentally gone nearly knee to ski going over/around unexpected bumps and the springs have been so smooth. I absolutely love the way they ski.

Comment

• So when all is said and done,

1 - How much buyer's remorse with this year's Lynx? Or is it so good when it works that it's worth the fiddling when it doesn't?

2 - For those that prefer less active / stiff bindings - are you happy with Lynx? For resort skiing I'm on OutlawX at position 2 (sometimes w/inner spring removed), and Freerides set at 1 (red spring) or 2 (blue spring). Seems counterintuitive to put a more active binding on a touring setup.

Comment

• Originally posted by ts01 View Post
              So when all is said and done,

1 - How much buyer's remorse with this year's Lynx? Or is it so good when it works that it's worth the fiddling when it doesn't?

2 - For those that prefer less active / stiff bindings - are you happy with Lynx? For resort skiing I'm on OutlawX at position 2 (sometimes w/inner spring removed), and Freerides set at 1 (red spring) or 2 (blue spring). Seems counterintuitive to put a more active binding on a touring setup.
              I am the Lynx fanboy, so I have zero buyer's remorse. The fiddle factor for me is quite low. Today's tour had moderately sticky snow and I had no issues:

Name:	E3842EDB-ACBB-4989-AB93-A46B00F5EB4B.jpeg
Views:	153
Size:	590.4 KB
ID:	105882

For reference, I ski Outlaw with double yellow springs on 3. But, with Lynx, size small vs. large seems to have a big impact on how stiff they feel. I am large, size 28 boot, in position 1 on Lynx (the least active pivot point), and I have no power spacers, only wave washers on the ends.

Activity is hard to measure as I'm not sure where the pivot point between Lynx 1 and Outlaw X is. Lynx feels more powerful, but I think that's mostly because the engagement is immediate. There's an adjustment to Lynx or any tech toe tele binding, for sure. When I tried power spacers (1 and esp. 2), it felt way too stiff for my taste. Turn initiation, for example, was more work dropping down against the binding's resistance. It's all about one's personal preference. For reference, I used to ski Switchback X2 and I thought I had my Outlaws dialed to that level of activity/resistance (though with a far, far smaller dead spot).

Comment

• I love the way the Lynx skis. Just has a few things to get worked out like stiffness, tabs breaking, more adjustability, the claw grab issues, and not sure if boot jack on spring days could be fixed. Some people don’t have any issues and enjoy the stiffness. If I was to do it over again I’d wait another 2-3 years until the kinks are worked out. Maybe in another 2-3 years Scarpa will have a better touring boot as well.

On another note, our hero Dostie has posted an video on the 2021 Lynx changes. Check it out.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xzue5_wDpXs

Comment

• I appreciate Dostie's take. Last year, I would have been skeptical of the claim about Lynx's suitability for inbounds use. No mas.

And I'm yet to have springs give out and require a power spacer. I twisted them last year going low but that hasn't happened with the longer springs even though I'm pretty sure I've bottomed out a couple of times. More travel would be great.

Comment

• Thanks for the feedback - and I'll check out Dostie's video. I'm sort of at the "resistance is futile" stage with an unmounted pair of touring skis on hand, so it's good to hear from happy users.

Comment

• V2.0 spring on the left. V2.1 on the right. V2.0 has one day of skiing. V2.1 has not been skied. Never noticed how much fish eye the lens on my phone has until taking these pics. It looks longer in the pic but the overall length delta is just under 1mm. The V2.0 has 24 coils while the V2.1 has 26 coils. I believe when 22D refers to longer springs they are referring to the length of straight material used to coil the spring. By my old eyes the V2.1 is a hair thicker material. Playing with dividers and feeler gauges I'm going with .06mm thicker. I see it in the second pic. Can one of you peeps with mounted V2.1s to flex your knee to the ski and have your buddy see if the springs are fully compressed, or if there is some travel left?

Name:	s1.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	105904

Name:	s2.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	105905

Owner of three pair of Lynx I am a fan boy gear whore. 25 days of touring on one pair V2.0 the springs had compressed. Had a couple whiskers flake off of the edge of the flex plates around the slick pins too. Skiing in P1. No issues at the plate arms yet. What are those called?

Flex plates will always have a finite life span. Any material when bent enough times will break. I am OK flex plates being a consumable like the timing belt in my car. I expect 22D will continue to improve the life span. I am not referring to the plate arm issue. Unless they can get away from the slide hitting fiber ends the plate arms will continue to be problematic.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• -E-

I think you nailed it with the number of coils for total length, and slightly thicker spring wire. That suggests to me that they are less likely to shrink over time and need fewer spacers added to keep the claw working as expected.

dschane,

Softer coil springs? Didn't even know that option existed. I'll have to give that a whirl.

Interesting that y'all are thinking the short version is stiffer than the long. Makes sense. Me thinks the solution to flex adjustability is to vary the thickness of the plate on top holding the main flex plate down. If it were made in varying thicknesses AND longer so that IT provides the positional 'stop' for the claw we might kill two birds with one stone. Maybe. Maybe not.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

• WRT to the coil springs. spring rate is a function of the wire dia^4, so very effected by the wire used. and is a function of 1/coil dia^3. So that is really really important too. and it is linear with 1/coils. I don't think i have ever seen a die spring spec that didn't warn against fully compressing. typically they give life based on % compression of free length. And all springs inside a given load class are rated for the same % deflections. die springs are standardized, so there is not that much difference between them if they use the same wire alloy, aside from round wire vs square wire designs.

purple is likely a lee spring company hefty branded medium heavy die spring, but just guessing.

WRT to the leaf springs, rate is a function of 1/L^3 and by thickness^3. So the longer leaf is much softer than the short one, all else equal.

i like dostie's idea of using the top leaf as the cam stop. But i'm thinking make it a forked tongue type thing with the tips of the forks being the cam stops so that it doesn't add too much stiffness.

Comment

• Well after 5 tours I am happy to report zero claw grabs with the new longer springs after fiddling around. To remedy the problems I previously experienced with breaking trail, I had to make homemade spacers along with anti stick spray on claw, cam, and under flex plate to keep the claw from engaging when breaking trail.

The stock spacers are too thick and I feel makes the binding too stiff with brand new springs. The spacers I made are half the thickness of the stock spacers.

I have one homemade spacer on each spring which equals 1 stock spacer on one spring. My theory is unequal pressure on the springs by using 1 stock spacer causes the claw to not engage evenly on the cam or more pressure on one side. I did have claw grabs with 1 stock spacer on one spring and also with zero spacers. No issues yet either with flex plates cracking after many tours. Once the new springs settle after next few months, I will think about adding the 2 stock spacers if I experience claw grabs. By that time the springs should be a bit softer.

Love the way the Lynx skis and how easy it tours. My favorite binding to date.

Comment

• Originally posted by telenerd View Post
                              Well after 5 tours I am happy to report zero claw grabs with the new longer springs after fiddling around. ... My theory is unequal pressure on the springs by using 1 stock spacer causes the claw to not engage evenly on the cam or more pressure on one side. I did have claw grabs with 1 stock spacer on one spring and also with zero spacers. No issues yet either with flex plates cracking after many tours. Once the new springs settle after next few months, I will think about adding the 2 stock spacers if I experience claw grabs. By that time the springs should be a bit softer.
                              Always had a bad feeling about the asymmetry with the spacers. I think you fig'r'd it out. Maybe. Hopefully.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

• That certainly could explain why I have not had any claw grabs. The OCD in me says one spacer means one spacer per spring. For some reason I was suspicious of asymmetrical spring setups. In the grab bag of parts I ended up with after all the warranty parts they sent me last winter, I realized I had enough to cobble together a second pair of v2- bindings with v1 springs but I didn't have enough spacers. I found a 20 cm long piece of ABS in a 100 yen shop towel hanger that is exactly the same diameter and thickness as the 22 Designs spacers. I just slice a piece off and cut out the gap that allows it to slide over the cable. So I pretty much have a lifetime supply of spacers now for about 95 cents. I cut them 10 mm in length so one of my spaces equals 2 OEM spacers. It was not easy to get two spacers on each spring, especially on a new set of springs. But now that they are there I think I'm set. That's what I am running on two pairs of lynx now and my concerns about the v2 being too stiff for me were completely unfounded. I love the feel.

Comment

Working...
                                X