No announcement yet.

Lynx '21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im about 190lbs and on a large and have not broken the tabs yet. 22 sent me spare plates with my springs even though I havent had any problems with the tabs or noticed any cracks. Crossing my fingers for the rest of the season. I took off a few days and plan on doing a few more tours this week and weekend for some more testing on my Ultravector BCs.

Comment

Originally posted by mo pow View Post
      I experienced problems with V2 for the first time Sunday while breaking trail in powder. It was deep dry snow, the kind that backfills your skin trench. I had multiple instances of "claw grab". I had one spacer in each binding. It was bad enough that if I'd had either additional spacers or wave washers (thanks Dschane) with me I would have stopped and attempted to insert them to see if that fixed it. Inserting spacers isn't bad in the shop but I've actually never done it in the snow. Might be a PIA? In any case it was a disappointing event because I have had multiple days on two pairs of V2 without significant problems, followed by this day where I had to fiddle with my bindings several times/hour.
      Did you have the new longer springs? Or they the original ones. 22 will ship those to you pretty quick.

Comment

telenerd - you have Lynx on Ultra Vectors BC?

Comment

Originally posted by SPQR View Post
          telenerd - you have Lynx on Ultra Vectors BC?
          Yep. And then I have the Axl on my V6 BC. Love fat fish scaled skis. I also have some Hypervectors BCs with Voile Hardwires. Too many skis.

Comment

Originally posted by telenerd View Post

Did you have the new longer springs? Or they the original ones. 22 will ship those to you pretty quick.
            How do I tell? 22D shipped this pair of bindings to me about 2 months ago to replace a pair of V1. EDIT: What is the difference in length when relaxed?

Comment

telenerd - I have Meidjo V2.1 on Ultra Vectors and for a year or so have been considering to get the Ultra Vector BC with either Meidjo or Lynx. However if Lynx tension is as stiff as dschane and others are reporting I’ll probably go with Meidjo. I have Lynx V1 on some Wailer 100’s and like the neutral feel but not the toe piece so much. I’m pretty much used to the fiddling with Meidjo’s, but it would be nice to have less snow clogging as on the Lynx.

Comment

I experienced problems with V2 for the first time Sunday while breaking trail in powder. It was deep dry snow, the kind that backfills your skin trench. I had multiple instances of "claw grab". I had one spacer in each binding.
                Yup, you need another spacer in each. For now. Maybe another down the line. Unless the newer, longer springs come to the rescue.

Adding a spacer in the field is a dangerous act. You might get away with it. Or lose the spacer in the snow.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

How do I tell? 22D shipped this pair of bindings to me about 2 months ago to replace a pair of V1. EDIT: What is the difference in length when relaxed?
                  If they shipped them to you in October, you very likely have the longer springs. It's hard to tell as the difference is pretty minor, but you could email 22D to confirm. Telenerd posted a picture of the difference on page 2.

Comment

Doing another test this weekend on Lynx. A foot or so of new snow coming. Will be another good test for claw and breaking trail. In a few months I plan on comparing the new longer springs to the old ones for length to see if they shrunk over time.

SPQR if you are set on fish scales, I’d get the Lynx over the M. From what I understand with the M. you have to take off the boot on ski to flick it from ski to tour mode. Since you will be on scales that would be a pain. With my Lynx and Axls I can just use my poles to flip in and out of ski and tour mode. Just flick the lever for going down. Then when your done with a run flick it again to tour up. So much easier and less time involved for transitioning.

Comment

• I think 22 redesigned the power spacers this year. Check out the manual. They now have a tab that fits in the slot of top hats. Not sure what functionality that adds but seems minor. So I guess for 2021 changes, the springs are longer, the power spacers have tabs, flex plate tabs rounded to help prevent cracks. Some of the 2020 models had cables that were too long which mine had and was replaced. So they may of also tweaked the cable length. Other than that I can’t tell if there is any other changes?

https://twentytwodesigns.3dcartstore...ynx_Poster.pdf

Comment

• Skied yesterday and today on the Lynx with updated plates and springs. We got 38 inches of snow here in New Hampshire. It still tours like a beast.

I had no problems with claw grab or snow packing over the 4ish hours of touring. Seems like the springs are doing their job, but this was pretty high-ratio snow.

No plate cracking observed but still early. I also couldn't tell any difference in terms of activity from the old plates/springs. I'm tinkering with a few updates to the smaller plate to try to make them more neutral, but haven't incorporated them yet.

Comment

• We got 38 inches of snow here in New Hampshire
                          Got squat here, for snow in Northern Vermont. Nothing... But I did pick up a nice Xmas tree..

Comment

• Cham!!! How is that possible?! I was seeing the havoc on the news thinking you would be tearing up the slopes. Sorry to hear that. We aren't doing much better here.

Comment

• Well did a tour the other day in fresh snow. Depth of new snow ranged from 3 inches to over 12 inches on tour. Broke trail all the way before getting in turns. Sad to report the new longer springs did not fix claw grab and had over 15 grabs. Temps were around 20 degrees and snow was sticking to top sheets. I did some fiddling while on trail after the claw grabs with no spacers.

Added 1 power spacer, claw grabs still happened even after clearing snow under claw and springs. Added another, claw grabs still happened. Removed all power spacers and tried position 2 on slic pin, claw grabs still happened. From what I am finding this is caused by snow packing under the springs and then packs in under plates which causes the binding to rise in the rear. When weight is applied by boot, due to off balance of the binding, then the claw engages.

My last tour I didn’t get any grabs but the snow was not sticking to top sheets. I will have to stock up more on mountain flow anti stick spray or not ski this binding in sticky snow. Spring snow will be even worse with dangerous boot jack on steeps. The claw needs a redesign to hold it better in place is what my conclusion is. There currently is no fix.

I guess I will ski my Voile hardwires or Axls for now on and save the Lynx for dry powder or where there is already a skin track in place.

Click image for larger version

Name:	668EC3E9-980C-4F6A-B0D4-232631D6FF2A.jpeg
Views:	140
Size:	691.7 KB
ID:	105686 Click image for larger version

Name:	4AACB4F1-82C8-4081-934B-72AD53E20626.jpeg
Views:	133
Size:	563.1 KB
ID:	105687

Comment

• That is super puzzling. When I was going through the warrantee process with the Japan distributor they sent me parts of v1 and v2 that were not compatible. At one point I had v2 base plates with v1 cam stops and springs and without enough spacers, the claw wouldn't even hold onto my boots. I thought that the base plates were out of spec but 22 Designs in Idaho confirmed that the v2 plates had different dimensions, as do the cam stops. It is the insides of the cam stops that are different and you can't really see it easily but if you poke a toothpick inside you can feel the difference. I am running v2 plates and v2 cam stops with v1 springs and claws this year on my Bomb Squads with some home made spacers that are the equivalent of two standard spacers on every spring. I did pre-release one time the other day but I have not had any claw grabbing issues at all. I don't tour solo but I've been breaking lots of trail around the edges of a small ski area and I have not experienced that issue. New snow every day and temps hovering around 20 degrees F all the time. My issues were with the Japan distributor not knowing that the parts are technically not compatible across versions. Are you in contact with 22 Designs?

Comment

Working...
                                X