Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lynx '21

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lynx '21

    Fall is approaching, this weekend we may end our streak of 70 days in a row with measurable rain, so I'm just getting over a bout of insanity and wondering if there are any updates since the modifications to the flex plates and toe box from last season?

  • #2
    When I chatted with 22, they did mention longer springs to deal with the claw issues Ive experienced when touring which should also resolve having to add more preload washers to fix the lazy claw. Also mentioned they were working on different flex plates because of some complaints of it being too stiff. Other than that, 22 would not spill the beans. I did ask if my v2 could be upgraded to v3 parts without buying new v3 and he said probably. So whatever that means.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by dschane View Post
      ...our streak of 70 days in a row with measurable rain...
      Serves you right for starting another gear weenie thread and pushing my awesome KIR/TAY ski stash thread one step away from Page 2.

      Click image for larger version

Name:	measurable.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	103474



      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by telenerd View Post
        When I chatted with 22, they did mention longer springs to deal with the claw issues Ive experienced when touring which should also resolve having to add more preload washers to fix the lazy claw. Also mentioned they were working on different flex plates because of some complaints of it being too stiff. Other than that, 22 would not spill the beans. I did ask if my v2 could be upgraded to v3 parts without buying new v3 and he said probably. So whatever that means.
        Longer springs? That was V2. Longer still? Hmmm. I suspect that a different spring design is needed. Even with longer springs I had to add 3 spacers and that only solved the lazy claw issue for one trip. The next tour it didn't work again. If 4 spacers are needed, sigh, that seems excessive. IFF it solves the problem then 4 it is, but that's an awful lot of shrinkage over time. However, that does correlate with how much I had to tighten up the nut on the prototype springs.

        Be sure to get extra spacers if/when you buy Lynx. It comes standard with two, but that's two too few.

        ain't no turn like tele!

        Comment


        • #5
          I would be very happy if they could provide softer main and flex plates that fit V2. I loved the way the V1s skied. I just broke them everywhere they could possibly break. The one day I skied on V2s before the season ended I found them super stiff and I wonder if I will be able to adapt before they rip my knees to shreds. I just want some Golidlocks plates, that's all. ;-)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Dostie View Post

            Longer springs? That was V2. Longer still? Hmmm. I suspect that a different spring design is needed. Even with longer springs I had to add 3 spacers and that only solved the lazy claw issue for one trip. The next tour it didn't work again. If 4 spacers are needed, sigh, that seems excessive. IFF it solves the problem then 4 it is, but that's an awful lot of shrinkage over time. However, that does correlate with how much I had to tighten up the nut on the prototype springs.
            I agree the longer springs would be just a bandaid. A progressive coiled spring would make more sense for 2021 that would help prevent spring sag over time and provide more snap for the claw.

            However, for 2025 why not have 1 spring with a small air/oil shock that would provide some type of rebound and compression adjustments for tuning. Im no engineer but that would be next level and possibly eliminate the hooky plates. Call it The Cougar X! Ha ha

            Comment


            • #7
              I want those adjustable air shocks for sure!

              Comment


              • #8
                Regarding the tele shox idea. I think if the shock was similar to a mountain bike shock it could offer quite a bit of adjustments. I could see issues with oil getting thick in colder temps which may deter an engineer from developing an oil based shox.

                There may be a need to have a piggy back resivior to deal with fade and elevation changes. Adding more air to the shock could be set to your weight and compression knob would be used to adjust activity of the binding. Rebound would be adjustable to control how fast your heel goes down to ski when intiating next turn. You could dial it slower for a more lazy nutruel feel or make it more snappy on the rebound. Sounds easy to dream up much harder to implement! Any engineers up for a challenge?

                Comment


                • #9
                  So, the conclusion is that Lynx '21 was basically finalized in the spring of '20 and those that have the longer springs, thicker plates, and improved toes have the cutting edge stuff?

                  I agree that the thicker plates made the bindings very stiff. I personally would like something in between the original thickness and v2's, but I got accustomed to the thicker plates by the end of last year.

                  I ended up discarding the power spacers and using a single-wave washer for each spring. I didn't have claw problems in probably 10-20 tours (large binding, size 28 boot). I guess time will tell.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    22D just sent me a box of upgraded parts for bringing my V1 Lynx up to date. The only change they mentioned between V2 and V3 is that the V3 toe piece snaps shut with greater force. (And last season's was a big improvement over V1, for anyone who hasn't tried both.) I haven't done anything with that stuff yet but if the flex plates are different than the V2 plates I will post dimensions.
                    Last edited by mo pow; 9 September 2020, 03:34 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      mo pow,

                      There be a whole lot more changes than just the flexplate between v1 and v2. See my review on telemarkskier.com. The main thing is the baseplate is different, therefore the dimensions of the tab and where the claw sits on the main flexplate are different. Plus numerous other details.

                      ain't no turn like tele!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Dostie View Post
                        mo pow,

                        There be a whole lot more changes than just the flexplate between v1 and v2. See my review on telemarkskier.com. The main thing is the baseplate is different, therefore the dimensions of the tab and where the claw sits on the main flexplate are different. Plus numerous other details.
                        Yeah thanks, I get that. I meant that if these new plates are not the same as those on my V2 bindings I will give a heads up. 22D indicated that the toe assembly they provided is V3, but did not mention anything about the flex assembly, or even if there are any flex plate changes for V3. So I assumed they are the same as V2 but don't know for sure.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          And, if anyone wants to try the spring washer, the minimum order was 50, so I have more than I can use in my lifetime. Send me a PM and I'll mail you a few.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            PM sent. Thanks dschane.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              V3??!
                              I woulda thought V2 would have had some updates but not a whole new "V".
                              It sounds like a lot of us are of the same opinion. V2 reliability (at least at the toe) with V1 feel.

                              I have my V1s on my touring skis because touring I want softer. But that means I have to have them locked all the time and a lazier claw. Have an early trip planned this year (fly in) and will hopefully be able to bring the parts from V2 to fit V1 in case of a failure (plates are quite cracked). Not sure I should worry - they haven't changed much in many days of skiing.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X