Voile enters TTS market

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voile enters TTS market

A tad late, in my view, but encouraging to see (on Facebook). Maybe NTN tech is next . . .

Cool! I was hoping they'd get it lighter, though. And that is a very unusual looking toepiece. Where's the springs and lever?
    Last edited by xmatt; 17th March 2020, 05:20 PM.

Comment

"Adds serious weight..." As an editor and a backcountry skier I would not recommend that phrase.

Oh, it actually says sheds serious weight. I couldn't see it on my phone. Nevermind.
      Last edited by cesare; 17th March 2020, 07:19 PM.

Comment

great to see another player. even if the heel unit isn't really new to TTS.

BTS and I were chatting about using that voile split board tech toe for TTS. our conclusion was it might be pretty cool, good price per pair, and the form factor might open up some possibilities, weight is ok, but not great. step in looks more difficult, couldn't find any videos. wasn't sure about the hinged side's ability to take forward pressure. But if voile is using it, it must be burly enough.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonq View Post
          ...step in looks more difficult.
          It is. :-(

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

Wait a minute. Voile doesn't make any skis that you could put this binding on...am I wrong?

Comment

It kinda seems to me like Voile said "Well, we have almost all of the parts laying around, let's just slap together a TTS, see if anyone buys it." I'm sure it'll ski great with the right boot, but the weight is a little disappointing. 565g/foot is heavier than a Lynx, and there doesn't appear to be any way to remove the cable for touring. What purpose does the plastic in front of the toepiece serve? Just to match an existing mounting pattern/jig? Why not just screw the toepiece thru the riser directly into the ski?

Click image for larger version

Name:	voile plastic.png
Views:	197
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	101105

Will the "Tour" version have the long-travel springs that Voile produces for OMG and Moonlight? It's puzzling that Voile, the company that's super concerned about tele bindings getting ripped out of skis, is selling a tele binding that many folks are going to bottom out.

Beyond those gripes, though, I'm excited to hear that Voile deems these toes telemark-worthy. The stamped sheet metal on the fixed side looks a bit flimsy to me. But as jasonq said, if Voile is selling it, it must be burly enough. As mentioned in other threads, I'm particularly interested in the toepieces for the ability to work with a set of tech fittings further back on the boot, for increased touring efficiency. Having the ski area closed down, though, definitely puts a damper on binding tweaking/testing for the time being.

Name:	voileweakarm.png
Views:	194
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	101104

If stepping in is anything like a Maruelli toepiece, yes it's going to be difficult. Dostie, is the pivoting arm spring loaded, to help with entry? I hope the next generation of tele boots have a big V-groove underneath the fittings (like the La Sportiva Sytron). That, coupled with a spring-loaded arm, could actually be one of the easiest setups to step into.

Name:	sytron.png
Views:	190
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	101106

Any tele binding development is good, especially from a venerable manufacturer like Voile. And I respect the simplicity. But this one definitely begs a lot of questions. Assuming most people are going to be using an NTN boot of some sort (rather than an F1 or F3), why would those people not just get a Meidjo (460g) or a Lynx (500g)? Maybe to save a hundred bucks or two? I suppose if you're in terrain suited for a Voile-style scaled ski, and you're switching between ski mode and tour mode a lot, this would be easier. Or if you live in a place with gloppy snow and you just can't deal with Meidjo/Lynx icing issues. But for most users, I don't see this binding making a lot of sense.

Comment

Pricing all the parts from Voile separately, it comes to $330, assuming the U-rod costs the same as hardwire rods and the toe risers costs the same as switchback risers (maybe not since they would have to have some metal). If they can get to $300 for the set, that might be compelling compared to $500+ for OMG or Kreuzspitze. At $400, it's hard to say... the performance gap would have to be very small.

To me this looks like a cost-optimization exercise to probe the market rather than a sign of new development. $300 is a much better way to find the market size than $500. Maybe Voile will invest in R&D for TTS/TTN/NTN if this sells enough. I hope it does as I would love to see what Voile can bring to the table. The cost of boots and bindings surely keeps a lot of people on 75mm. Unfortunately this would only solve half of that problem...

Comment

The optional pivot points are both quite far forward. It is great to see Voile get into tele tech, but I was hoping for another flavor of tech ntn from them. Still, another notch cementing tech toes as the future of tele!

Comment

As said, if they can / will sell at a very competitive price, it will find a market.
                    weight, with the rod assembly removed for up hill, I don’t think anyone would worry that it is 50 to 100g more than a race toe.
                    Pressed metal could be its downfall, those tight radius bends may be prone to fracture.
                    one thing I don’t get, there is no support to the mid foot, the button to activate it is behind the pins, and may be an issue with this.

Comment

I may be obscenely naive but I am hopeful that even if this isn't the most cutting edge binding out there, it could help develop more of a market and possibly indicate the coming of a new generation of boots that are more game changing than I may have previously expected.

It seems that everywhere touring is blowing up. Here in the North East, I'm amazed by the heavy setups folks buy to go schwacking around, not really aware of any other option. If this binding is priced such that it is relatively affordable as a second (or even third) setup, and can effectively be marketed as a better way to do backcountry (especially when paired with fish scales) I can see it doing quite well in places like VT, NH and ME, especially where we have funded glading projects going on. We would also need some quality marketing and outreach, but I think it's possible.

But who knows, that all feels contingent on having a boot like the Scarpa Tx or F1/F3 back on the market, or heck, something more like a T4 with tech toe. We can't expect tele to grow if the best boots on the hill are those that folks have hacked together in their garages/basements/kitchen tables.

Comment

Originally posted by telorti View Post
                        Wait a minute. Voile doesn't make any skis that you could put this binding on...am I wrong?
                        yes. their warranty doesn't cover inserts on any of their skis, no tele or inserts on their "hyper" models with the paulownia/carbon layup.

Comment

"We can't expect tele to grow if the best boots on the hill are those that folks have hacked together in their garages/basements/kitchen tables."

humm, that was exactly the situation for years when i started. ceased to be true when the first terminator came out. i hope tele grows like that again when that ceases to be true, again.

Comment

Hate to say it, but I expect the current recession is going to squash the rollout of new tele boots. Unless nearly all of the retool cost is sunk already, I can't see the expected return on this coming soon enough to justify further investment while you're just hoping the normie products make it through. The boot hackers are going to have to carry things for a while longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Pherick View Post
                              Hate to say it, but I expect the current recession is going to squash the rollout of new tele boots.
                              This, or the fact that they would be made in northern Italy...

Comment

Working...
                              X