Powder Mag Says ABS Avy Video is BS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powder Mag Says ABS Avy Video is BS

Not BS as in false, but as in misguided- waddyallthink? http://www.powdermag.com/avalanche-e...lling-bullsht/
    Reluctant enthusiast, part-time crusader, half-hearted fanatic

Yeah, it is BS....but what would we expect? It's a commercial. Some of the younger sh#theads actually believe it. A few close calls, a burial or two, and some dead friends should cure them of that.
    Last edited by BillyFromTheHills; 14 October 2013, 02:16 PM.
    Yay!...(Drool)

Comment

I haven't seen the video, but did read the rant. It's really easy to twist the reality of surviving an avalanche with an airbag into something commercial where the full intent is misinterpreted and video producers don't fully comprehend the picture they are painting and how it is perceived from the outside.

Matt Hansen's rant kind of circles around the subject of how using an airbag can change a wearer's perception of acceptable risk. I stand guilty as charged that wearing an airbag pack can/will cause you to take more chances. It remains to be seen how bold airbag makers will get in their claims, and how honest they will be about their side effects. So bravo to Mr. Hansen for drawing attention to the problem with airbag packs - increased bravado, which deserves to be called out as a load of BS.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

Originally posted by Dostie View Post
        I stand guilty as charged that wearing an airbag pack can/will cause you to take more chances.

Really?! Hmm.

Comment

Originally posted by Tele 'til You're Smelly View Post
          Really?! Hmm.
          Absolutely, I remember when I first confronted this dilemma years ago when me and my buds showed up to go touring with a local guide. Upon learning we didn't have "Pieps" he decided that we wouldn't be able to ski the route he had planned and would have to stick to low angle slopes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ddog View Post
            Absolutely, I remember when I first confronted this dilemma years ago when me and my buds showed up to go touring with a local guide. Upon learning we didn't have "Pieps" he decided that we wouldn't be able to ski the route he had planned and would have to stick to low angle slopes.
            I find that very strange- if the slope is too dangerous to ski without a beacon, it's too dangerous to ski with one, given that beacons only increase your odds of survival by about 10%. An airbag is somewhat higher (especially if in treeless terrain), but still, it's like deciding you'd take one route driving in a car with airbags and another route in one without. I can't say I have never made such decisions subconsciously, but never so overtly as that. Yes, I would only buy a car with airbags now, just like I will only buy a ski pack with an airbag, but I do not feel either purchasing decision affects route decisions later.
            Last edited by Tele 'til You're Smelly; 15 October 2013, 02:09 PM.

Comment

I find that very strange- if the slope is too dangerous to ski without a beacon, it's too dangerous to ski with one, given that beacons only increase your odds of survival by about 10%. An airbag is somewhat higher (especially if in treeless terrain), but still, it's like deciding you'd take one route driving in a car with airbags and another route in one without. I can't say I have never made such decisions subconsciously, but never so overtly as that. Yes, I would only buy a car with airbags now, just like I will only buy a ski pack with an airbag, but I do not feel either purchasing decision affects route decisions later.
              I'll ski some terrain without any avalanche protection (or alone which is basically the same thing) so not knowing what the terrain involved was that could have been a reasonable thing to do. If I was taking people on a tour assuming they had beacons and they showed up without them, I could still maybe find us a tour that would work. It just might not be the experience the beaconless skiers were picturing (and might be better on Nordic gear).

Comment

As for the video, it does seem to paint it in a "no big deal" kind of light. I know they want to sell their product but this tone could be bad for casual avi knowledge. I would think anyone who took a AIRE course would know that it's a big deal but I'm more concerned with the kind of people who would do occasional car-served skiing with no BC gear.

Comment

Originally posted by MattB View Post
                  I'll ski some terrain without any avalanche protection (or alone which is basically the same thing) so not knowing what the terrain involved was that could have been a reasonable thing to do. If I was taking people on a tour assuming they had beacons and they showed up without them, I could still maybe find us a tour that would work. It just might not be the experience the beaconless skiers were picturing (and might be better on Nordic gear).
                  Isn't that another way of saying you would put a person in an unsafe situation if they have a beacon, counting on it to save their life? I have just never thought that way- I look at it like a seat belt- I am going to wear a seat belt in case the unexpected happens, but I'm not gonna ask a passenger if they are going to wear one and then make a route & speed decision based on their choice, driving faster than I think is safe if they wear it.

In other words: if you think a route is ok to take someone only if they have a beacon (or airbag or whatever), I think that is wrong-headed thinking. And I guess that makes me agree with the editorial, if people are really going to think that way. Long ago I encountered that whole "you can go or not depending on whether you have a beacon" thing, but no one I have skied with has pulled that in a long time. If you forget it, you go ski what you would have skied anyway, because in the end it's a minor factor in whether you come back alive. And likewise, you don't ski something simply because you *did* bring a beacon or airbag pack even though you think there's a good chance it will slide.
                  Last edited by Tele 'til You're Smelly; 15 October 2013, 02:52 PM.

Comment

The difference to me is whether or not we go into avalanche terrain. That has some inherent danger even if conditions are "safe". If we don't all have beacons we minimize the time spent in avalanche terrain or avoid it all together. The stuff we could ski would be boring on gear for skiing bigger lines, but may be fun on meadowskipping gear.

Comment

Glad to see this thread got started and that Powder called b.s. That video (here for reference) was at the top of my youtube promotion list on Monday. I watched it and thought "You have to be kidding me!" The cut-aways to the product, the soaring orchestra, the size of the freaking slide, the thumbs-up. "Don't let a slide ruin your day and rob your glory!" It's edited to look like they deliberately skied a slope that they knew would go just so they could show how bullet-proof their product makes a skier.

[/much gnashing of teeth]

Comment

Really?! Hmm.
                        ...for real.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

I concur with Mr. T above. The impression is the Valiant Skier who braves all hazards knowing his trusty ABS can save the day for him,

Comment

Jeesum....why not have a copter with a winch to haul you up when the slope goes....Teleman

Comment

Originally posted by Teleman View Post
                              Jeesum....why not have a copter with a winch to haul you up when the slope goes....Teleman
                              actually . . .

Comment

Working...
                              X